cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subcontracting - the Right Way to Do It

waelalaraby
WAEL E Member Since: Nov 28, 2020
31 of 37

Where can I specify business hours when submitting a proposal?

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
32 of 37

Hi Wael,

You can add this information to your cover letter and also share any additional information/questions you would like regarding the job post. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
33 of 37

@Pavel T wrote:

Any advice or experience with subcontracting would be most helpful. Thanks

In short:

Don't!

f9f08439
Pavel T Member Since: Aug 7, 2017
34 of 37

Petra, do you mind sharing more details about your experience? Keen to know more.

Wendy and Preston - I never implied that subcontracting should be done without client's knowledge. Nature of my follow-up question to Valeria was purely about whether there are any requirements in the current ToS as to how it should be communicated. While we are onto this, what do you say to your clients when you subcontract or when there is a part of project, for which you think another person is a better fit?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
35 of 37

re: "While we are onto this, what do you say to your clients when you subcontract or when there is a part of project, for which you think another person is a better fit?"

Personally, I don't sub-contract.

But I routinely tell clients that they would be better off hiring somebody else for various tasks that I'm not the best fit for.

Clients I work with often hire other Upwork freelancers to work on various aspects of a project. Often they do so at my recommendation.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
36 of 37

@Pavel T wrote:

Petra, do you mind sharing more details about your experience? Keen to know more.

Wendy and Preston -  what do you say to your clients when you subcontract or when there is a part of project, for which you think another person is a better fit?

I would bet that neither Wendy nor Preston subcontract anything, nor would I.

In the situation you describe above, where you may think someone else may be a better fit, you can either tell the client to hire that other person, or create an agency, add that other person to your agency and get the client to hire that other freelancer through the agency.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
37 of 37

Pavel,  I often recommend freelancers; I have helped sort through and verify profiles of freelancers, and  I've project managed those freelancers for selected clients.  I do not subcontract. 

I'm fully aware of the fact I'll raise the wrath of a few - but subcontracting is, in many ways, too close to 'farming' for my taste.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS