cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submissions Outside the Upwork Portal

Highlighted
Daniel W Member Since: Apr 21, 2016
1 of 7

I've had several recent interviews initiated on Upwork, then continued on Skype. Clients wanted me to submit articles outside the Upwork portal. Is this a common practice?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 7

Sometimes. I do it. Sometimes, it's one person paying the bill and someone else managing the content. It's a pain because I have to remember who does what, but whatever. I do it.

Just make sure you always submit to Upwork too to keep it on record in case things go south.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
3 of 7

Edited because I misunderstood what he was asking. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 7

You can submit articles outside Upwork, but I would also submit the copy through Upwork. This so the payment protection can be used in case of a dispute.

Obviously, no payment should be done off-platform. You need to be paid through Upwork only.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
5 of 7

Given the "stability" of the platform, I communicate through personal email.  I submit both through Upwork and through my personal email.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
6 of 7

@Mary W wrote:

Given the "stability" of the platform, I communicate through personal email.  I submit both through Upwork and through my personal email.  Hope this helps.

Ditto. To echo other folks, always be sure to do the financial portion of the project through the platform. Communication and deliverables are up to you, but I've found it's best to have at least some record of the project's communication in Upwork so that there is documentation if needed later. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 7

It's not only common, but because of all the ongoing "buggy" issues, it's necessary. I always request a client's, and give my own email address because of this. As everyone else recommends, also keep a record here on the site as well.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS