Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submit a Second Proposal - a Rewrite?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mary-Helen R Member Since: Oct 9, 2018
1 of 9

Hello. I just started a couple of weeks ago and Ijumped right in. Woohoo! As far as I can see, I fell on my face - not just because I have no offers yet after a bunch of proposals but especially because my first proposals were just plain terrible, long on why I would love to work on the project and short on my skills/education/experience that made me such a good fit. The hardest thing to swallow about that is there are 2 memoirs I really, really want to work on. Can I submit a second proposal, with all the right info plus an explanation of what happened?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

re: "...my first proposals were just plain terrible, long on why I would love to work on the project and short on my skills/education/experience that made me such a good fit."

Your proposal is NOT a place for you to talk about your "skills/education/experience."

Don't you already have that information on your profile page?

The client can click on your name or your face in his job proposals feed and see everything on your profile page. Every client knows how to do this.

If I am a client, and you send a proposal to me, then I do NOT want to read about you. I'm not interested in you.

If you write a proposal to one of my jobs, you should talk about these things:

- Me

- My Project

- How you are going to make my life better by doing this project for me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 9

re: "Can I submit a second proposal, with all the right info plus an explanation of what happened?"

You can go to your "Upwork -> Find Work -> Proposals" page, click on a proposal, and then WITHDRAW it.

And then you will be able to submit a new proposal.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 9

Thank you Preston. Perhaps I should have been more specific -- I now write about how well my skills/experience/education line up specifically with the project - and so how I can make their job better. Your reply was wonderful, thank you.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 9

Thank you also for engaging my brain about 'withdraw proposal' which I hadn't considered before!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
6 of 9

I don't fault you for wanting to give it another try on projects that interest you. But, I would caution you to not allow your emotions to be your guide when negotiating with clients. There are good clients and not so good ones. Some will try to take advantage of your enthusiasm. So, you must always be willing to walk away from a bad deal no matter how enticing the work. 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 9

Your reply is so sweet, thank you! I understand what you're saying and fortunately I have a pretty good sense about things like that. Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 9

Mary, if you withdraw your proposal you do not get the connects back. And if you resubmit a better written one, it will cost you another 2 connects. And IMO you should not mention why you are doing that or why you withdrew the original proposal. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 9

Kathy, thanks so much for this observation. I'm going to think about it, and perhaps just let it go. Your reply nudges me like Tonya's did, to not get invested in a potential job. I'm seeing that my first two weeks had a theme of "Oh my gosh, look at all of these  interesting jobs! I want to do this!". In the meantime, I've improved my profile and although I'm still trying to find the right strategy for bidding a job, I feel like I'm beginning to 'get it'.

It's super that freelancers help each other out like this. I sincerely appreciate your help! BTW, could you possibly tell me why your profile is set to private?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS