🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Submit an Invoice
Page options
racarlos
Community Member

Submit an Invoice

Once I finish a job. How do I bill the client?

4 REPLIES 4
louisaj
Community Member

Your client funds the contract before you start work if using a milestone contract. The funds are held in Escrow and released when you have completed the work. If you used this option, press the big green SUBMIT button.

If you use the hourly contract, the client is billed by Upwork for the time you have logged that week using the time tracker. 

Do not do work without a contract in place. Basically, you don't do the work first and then invoice the client after. That's not what the platform is for. 

pudingstudio
Community Member

Carlos E R wrote:

If it's fixed price contract: By sending your work via your contracts page, clicking on "Submit Work" button.

If it's hourly, by turning on "Time Tracker" on your app while working (or by posting manual time).

If NONE of this makes any sense to you, read ALL the articles about UpWork.
Being sure of the rules and how this platform works is imperative for your business.

jr-translation
Community Member

Carlos E R wrote:

Before you start a job, you have to make sure you have a contract in place. There is no job in your profile you probably never accepted a job offer. No contract, no pay.

Did the client offer you a contract? If yes, accept the job and request the payment through the system.

Did he fund the full amount? If yes, good. If no, only send what you are paid for.

Is the payment method verified?  If yes, good. If no, well.

The good news is, you still own the work. The bad news, you are not allowed to accept payment outside Upwork. (ToS violation).

Take some time to read through the forum and the ToS.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Submit an Invoice... Once I finish a job. How do I bill the client?"

It is not Upwork's intention that you submit an invoice or bill a client. Trying to do so will only cause problems.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths