🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Submit multiple milestones
Page options
berryflower
Community Member

Submit multiple milestones

Hi there,

so I have 3 milestones in my contract and I am trying to deliver multiple milestones but it only lets me deliver one. It was also not possible for the employer to incease the escrow amount after he setup the milestone. I now delivered multiple milestones into the first one to get it released faster, otherwise it will take me too long. It is planned that this contract will have more than 100 milestones and I can deliver around 3-5 milestones a day but the employer can't check them that fast.

Another thing is: All milestones are funded and I would like to deliver milestone 4 but 3 is in between. Does that mean that I can't deliver 4 before I deliver 3?

Shouldn't it be up to me which milestone I deliver? And how many I deliver at the same time?

Thanks

Mari

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 7.52.50 PM.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello Athchara,

I would like to clarify that multiple milestones can't be funded at the same time. Once the first milestone is paid the client will be able to fund the second milestone and etc. 

You and your clients can negotiate if setting up one or multiple milestones is the best fit for the job/tasks.
I would also like to clarify that promised funds or unfunded milestones are not protected under our Fixed price protection. Always make sure that the agreed budget is fully funded on your milestone. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Athchara G wrote:

so I have 3 milestones in my contract and I am trying to deliver multiple milestones but it only lets me deliver one. It was also not possible for the employer to incease the escrow amount after he setup the milestone. I now delivered multiple milestones into the first one to get it released faster, otherwise it will take me too long. It is planned that this contract will have more than 100 milestones and I can deliver around 3-5 milestones a day but the employer can't check them that fast.

Another thing is: All milestones are funded and I would like to deliver milestone 4 but 3 is in between. Does that mean that I can't deliver 4 before I deliver 3?

Get the client to set up bigger milestones. If you usually complete 3 to 5 or whatever items a day, get the client to set up one milestone for 2 or whatever days of work.

It is ridiculous to make the client go through the process of approving and activating several milestones a day.

No, you have to submit them in order, and each has to be released before the next one can be activated.

Petra R wrote:
It is ridiculous to make the client go through the process of approving and funding several milestones a day.

You mean the employer? The issue in my case is that I have to rely on third parties to deliver certain things to me my employer needs. Those we have different milestones setup as they have different tasks / topics.

As soon as I get the required information from the third party, I can submit the milestone for approval. The employer runs some checks and approves the milestone.

I get the meaning of a milestone and it kind of makes sense that they have to get approved in order. But why can't I add files / deliver the second milestone as long as the first one is in review by my employer? It would be better if the second milestone gets activated for delivery as soon as the first one is sent for approval.

Athchara G wrote:

Petra R wrote:
It is ridiculous to make the client go through the process of approving and funding several milestones a day.

You mean the employer? The issue in my case is that I have to rely on third parties to deliver certain things to me my employer needs. Those we have different milestones setup as they have different tasks / topics.

As soon as I get the required information from the third party, I can submit the milestone for approval. The employer runs some checks and approves the milestone.

I get the meaning of a milestone and it kind of makes sense that they have to get approved in order. But why can't I add files / deliver the second milestone as long as the first one is in review by my employer? It would be better if the second milestone gets activated for delivery as soon as the first one is sent for approval.

No, she means client. You don't have an employer, you have a client. It's best to use the terms commonly used in upwork correctly, it avoids endless confusion. 

Milestones are not supposed to work for miniscule tasks that you complete several of per day. It is for your own (payment) protection, so that you only submit the work that is covered under the specific milestone, and not more. 

A client setting up your work this way is either badly informed how this is supposed to work, or - no, no other good reason. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello Athchara,

I would like to clarify that multiple milestones can't be funded at the same time. Once the first milestone is paid the client will be able to fund the second milestone and etc. 

You and your clients can negotiate if setting up one or multiple milestones is the best fit for the job/tasks.
I would also like to clarify that promised funds or unfunded milestones are not protected under our Fixed price protection. Always make sure that the agreed budget is fully funded on your milestone. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

I would like to clarify that multiple milestones can't be funded at the same time.

They can at the start of the contract, just not later.

ebwinter
Community Member

Oh! That is very helpful to know. I wish this were clearer when setting up a contract.

I'm working on a project currently that has one main component (a big document to edit) that's the top priority, but there are a number of lower-priority, smaller documents as well. We only set up the Milestone for the main one at first, since I knew we could add Milestones later and that one was their main focus. However, it turned out that the document wasn't quite ready on their end, so I got a head start on one of the smaller ones in the meantime.

In this case I am not worried, because I trust this client, but I wish I'd known in advance and made sure to get all the Milestones on there and active when I had the opportunity.

Now I know for next time!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths