🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Submitted a file for review, was promised mor...
Page options
schardo
Community Member

Submitted a file for review, was promised more work, but now nothing

I accepted a proposal from a client for a paid test for an hourly rate. They told me they'd give me feedback for my work, and if it was good enough, they'd give me more (hourly). I sent the file over two weeks ago, and then a follow-up message asking for feedback. How long should I wait for a response? Should I just close the contract? The invoice for the work went out, and I realized it was a higher rate than we originally agreed upon. Should I change that to the agreed rate? They sent the offer after we agreed on a different hourly rate. Any help would be appreciated. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

If you had an hourly contract and either (1) tracked hours with the app, or (2) logged hours manually, then the hours were available for the client to review during the week after you worked them. If the client didn't/doesn't challenge them, you'll be paid the Wed after the review week ends. Theoretically, if you get paid more than you had originally agreed to, you can arrange with the client to refund the difference (I think).

It sounds likely the client is not going to hire you for additional work and lacks the wherewithal to let you know definitely. Welcome to online dating contract work. Of course, it's also possible they are simply disorganized and/or this project is not high on their priority list. Personally, I would consider either of those to be a red flag.

As for closing the contract, you generally want a client to close a contract so they are forced to leave feedback. If you close it, then they are notified and invited to leave fb but they may not get around to doing it. In this instance, if they were not impressed with your work, then you'd be better off without their fb and should just let the contract sit. Once you've stacked up several with positive outcomes, i.e. strong fb, then you could close this one yourself. Or let it sit forever. The only way an idle contract with money paid can hurt you is if you accumulate a lot of them.

In any case, you'd be well advised to learn more about how contracts and payments work before accepting any more projects.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

If you had an hourly contract and either (1) tracked hours with the app, or (2) logged hours manually, then the hours were available for the client to review during the week after you worked them. If the client didn't/doesn't challenge them, you'll be paid the Wed after the review week ends. Theoretically, if you get paid more than you had originally agreed to, you can arrange with the client to refund the difference (I think).

It sounds likely the client is not going to hire you for additional work and lacks the wherewithal to let you know definitely. Welcome to online dating contract work. Of course, it's also possible they are simply disorganized and/or this project is not high on their priority list. Personally, I would consider either of those to be a red flag.

As for closing the contract, you generally want a client to close a contract so they are forced to leave feedback. If you close it, then they are notified and invited to leave fb but they may not get around to doing it. In this instance, if they were not impressed with your work, then you'd be better off without their fb and should just let the contract sit. Once you've stacked up several with positive outcomes, i.e. strong fb, then you could close this one yourself. Or let it sit forever. The only way an idle contract with money paid can hurt you is if you accumulate a lot of them.

In any case, you'd be well advised to learn more about how contracts and payments work before accepting any more projects.

Where is the best place to learn about these things? The community forums? Or somewhere else? 

lysis10
Community Member

If it's hourly and you submitted 2 weeks ago, then you should be getting the money this week.

Just move on to the next one. They ghosted you for now.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

This is just a well-worn riff on Wimpy's classic line - "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

At least nine times out of ten, a new client who entices you to do work now in anticipation of "bigger things to come" is lying, especially if they are asking for some special consideration from you now in regards to price, .

If the pay you will get for the work being offered now is lower than you think you deserve, tell them to raise the price. Or do the work at the offered price assuming there will be no future work. You'll be happy you did it less than one time out of ten.

Will L wrote:

If the pay you will get for the work being offered now is lower than you think you deserve, tell them to raise the price.

Huh? The rate is higher, not lower. Which is what she said in her original post.

The contract is at $ 15, with hours logged, her profile rate is $ 12.

schardo
Community Member

When I submitted the proposal, I asked for $15. They countered with $11.50 in a message, which I accepted. But then they sent the contract with $15. I'm not sure if it was an oversight on their part or not. If they realize the error and ask for a refund, would that hurt me? Or should I just not worry about it for now, since it seems like they ghosted me. 

petra_r
Community Member

Sarah C wrote:

When I submitted the proposal, I asked for $15. They countered with $11.50 in a message, which I accepted. But then they sent the contract with $15. I'm not sure if it was an oversight on their part or not. If they realize the error and ask for a refund, would that hurt me? Or should I just not worry about it for now, since it seems like they ghosted me. 

Don't worry about it,  You'll get paid automatically in due course. Chances are they either chose another freelancer or abandoned the project.

Just move on.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths