🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Submitting payment without client sending off...
Page options
e31ab614
Community Member

Submitting payment without client sending offer through Upwrok

Hi,

I am new to Upwork and I just want to make sure I am not missing something.

I client invited me to submit a proposal (I checked this client has worked with many other freelancers on Upwork successfully). I had an interview with the client and did the first section of the job (job very clearly set out by client with hours and payment etc.). However on my side the job still only shows as an "active proposal". He has asked me to submit my Upwork hours for payment. Am I silly and missing something or should the client state he invited me for interview and offered me the work? My only other idea is that I should "Change the Terms" of my proposal - however it doesn't give me the option to set the hours we agreed on.

Any advice would be appreciated! 

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can't get paid if you have an active proposal.

You can get paid if you have an active contract.

You can look here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

If you see an active contract there, then you can work.

If you do not see an active contract there, then you should NOT be working on the project.

When you work, you do not "submit your hours to the client."

When you work, you use the desktop time-tracker application.

If you are not using the desktop time-tracker appplication to record time for this hourly contract, then you will not get paid.

Thanks for your advice Preston!!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Catherine L wrote:

Hi,

I client invited me to submit a proposal (I checked this client has worked with many other freelancers on Upwork successfully). I had an interview with the client and did the first section of the job (job very clearly set out by client with hours and payment etc.). However on my side the job still only shows as an "active proposal". He has asked me to submit my Upwork hours for payment. Am I silly and missing something or should the client state he invited me for interview and offered me the work? My only other idea is that I should "Change the Terms" of my proposal - however it doesn't give me the option to set the hours we agreed on.

The client has not hired you, you don't have a contract. You say this is not his first contract. Then he knows how things work here, and is taking advantage of your inexperience. Now they are just stringing you along. 

This is what you should do:

Dear John, I see that you have not sent an offer yet. I must have overlooked that when I started working. Could you please send the offer now, I'm happy to resume the work once I have accepted it. 

Likely they will not do that. If they do, ask them to allow manual hours or pay as a bonus. Manual hours are not protected. 

You have made a beginner's mistake that could easily have been avoided. You should never work without a contract. Once you have a contract, use the time tracker. 

Thanks so much Martina.

I am trying your advice hopefully it works.

amarmababa
Community Member

Hi Catherine,

Hi,

You are not hired. Just send a message to hire you. After getting hiring notification to start, you start work with hour counting by Upwork apps. You will get weekly payment automatically.

Md Nazmul I wrote:

Hi Catherine,

Hi,

You are not hired. Just send a message to hire you. After getting hiring notification to start, you start work with hour counting by Upwork apps. You will get weekly payment automatically.

Why are you repeating what I already said?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths