🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Submitting proposals to jobs with vague d...
Page options
tomtilly
Community Member

Submitting proposals to jobs with vague descriptions and fixed budgets

Hi folks! I've noticed quite a few job listings with vague descriptions and fixed budgets. For these jobs, it's impossible to tell if the price listed is reasonable. I would submit proposals to these jobs under the condition that I can talk with the client first and back out if their requirements are unreasonable. Is that possible on Upwork? If I submit a proposal, can the client immediately accept and lock me in to that price?

Thanks for any help with this! 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
PradeepH

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your message. 

You can discuss and negotiate the cost of the project when the client responds to your proposal. If the Client sends an offer directly on your proposal, feel free to request more information on the job before you accept the offer. You can also decline the offer in case of incomplete information or you are not happy with any terms mentioned on the offer such as price, deadline, etc.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork
data_divas
Community Member

Make it clear when you send the proposal that your bid for the job is a placeholder and you'll give the client a price after you discuss the details and specifics of the project with them. 

Either side is free to negotiate or decline any proposals or offers.

Clear and logical, Julie J. Thanks!

roberty1y
Community Member

Vague descripitons of jobs are the rule rather than the exception, so you'd better get used to it. Clients must surely know they can't expect an accurate bid if they didn't describe the job accurately in the first place.

petra_r
Community Member

Thomas T wrote:

If I submit a proposal, can the client immediately accept and lock me in to that price?

The client could never lock you in at any price because even if the client sent an offer, you would still have to accept the offer before a contract is created.

So that would be the time to have the scope discussion. I also make sure that I always mention that my bid is a placeholder pending clarification of ...(whatever needs clarifying) as was mentioned before.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths