🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Submitting work: good practices
Page options
vpuller
Community Member

Submitting work: good practices

This is a generic question, not related to a specific project. I am wondering what is a better practice for submitting finished work on a fixed-price project:
a) sending it via chat and then clickinng "Submit work for payment"
OR

b) clicking "Submit work for payment" and sending the files alongside.

It seems that the letter option is more secure in terms of guaranteeing that the client pays, but I think they should be given an opportunity to review the work and ask for changes, if necessary.

Yet, the third option is submitting only a part of work, e.g., the report/output and then promising the essential part via "Submit work for payment". Is there really any difference? Should one perhaps simply trust the client?

4 REPLIES 4
allpurposewriter
Community Member

Call the Upwork support line. It's the best phone-in support system in the known universe. I frequently tell them if I drop a pencil and it rolls behind the desk, I will give them a call for assistance. They are always helpful and they will be glad to walk you through even the most unlikely inquiry. 

benaleh
Community Member

It depends. If the work is complete then I find it is best to include the attachment with the request for payment. If you need to cycle through a number of drafts before requesting payment, then ask the client to check it over before submitting it for payment. This all boils down to the arraignment you have with your clients. 

From a user-experience standpoint- submitting the file through makes it easier for the client. When you submit a file through chat, the file can be opened/downloaded directly from the chat window. However, when you submit the file the "request payment" area, the client can see the name of the file in the chat window but they must go to a separate contract window to download the file.  I had to explain this to a client because he didn't understand how to access it. 

robin_hyman
Community Member

The client will get pinged whether you submit via the chat tool or via the submission tool. I prefer submission so the client sees I'm done with the milestone or project and will immediately (hopefully) release funds. 

NEVER call Upwork support for a question like this one. I hope that guy was kidding. 

Robin H wrote:

The client will get pinged whether you submit via the chat tool or via the submission tool. I prefer submission so the client sees I'm done with the milestone or project and will immediately (hopefully) release funds. 

NEVER call Upwork support for a question like this one. I hope that guy was kidding. 

Obviously he was kidding, because no human being ever talked to a support person on the phone in the history of phones. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members