🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Success score dropped drastically
Page options
humbled
Community Member

Success score dropped drastically

Hi - my job success score was high 90s for as long as I can remember. I have just looked at it and noticed that it has dropped to 88%.

I have 2 ongoing contacts in my work and it must be due to these that the score has dropped as I am not that active on here and have not done any other jobs or work on here for quite some time.

Both jobs were due already but have not been delivered yet, this is because ths scope of work has changed quite a bit since we started and we are both happy with this. Ive passed work back to the client to do before I can do my part so there is a delay and I was happy to wait but I didnt realise it would impact my score (assuming this is what has impacted the score).

Is there anything I can do to get the score back up to where it was before and is there a good way of managing these 2 dragging jobs. The dragging jobs are not a problem for anyone invovled but Ive just assumed they are impacting my score.

Also - I think I have top rated status, will this drop impact that?

Thanks for reading

9 REPLIES 9
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Contracts don't factor into your JSS until they're closed. (Exceptions are long-term contracts on which you are paid regularly for at least three months, which have a positive impact.) 

The most likely things that make your JSS dip are when one or more high-feedback jobs fall out of your calculation window; and when one or more contracts close with not-great private feedback.

Phyllis G wrote:

Contracts don't factor into your JSS until they're closed. (Exceptions are long-term contracts on which you are paid regularly for at least three months, which have a positive impact.) 

The most likely things that make your JSS dip are when one or more high-feedback jobs fall out of your calculation window; and when one or more contracts close with not-great private feedback.

Actually, open contracts with no earnings that are open with no earnings for about 2 months or longer will have a significant negative effect on your JSS (well it depends on total number of contracts). 

OP, it sounds like you need to get at least a small payment released on those contracts, and it will help your JSS. But if you want it to show up in the next update, you need to request they payment today, in case you have to wait for the 14 day standard release of payment. 

petra_r
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Actually, open contracts with no earnings that are open with no earnings for about 2 months or longer will have a significant negative effect on your JSS (well it depends on total number of contracts). 

ONLY if nothing was **EVER** paid.

James, you will lose your top rated status within 24 hours.

When did you last look at your JSS before you noticed that it has dropped? How many completed contracts are there in your 6 month window? Any poor outcmes recently? Any contracts that closed with nothing (ever) paid recently? Do you have open contracts that are done but not closed (The idea here is to get them closed and become counted into your JSS before the next update in 2 weeks)

If you can identify a poor outcome in the recent past, you can still use your top rated perk for 14 days, even though you are no longer top rated.

At this point the most important thing is to get your JSS above 90% again before the next update so you don't lose too many non-eligible weeks. 

That way you could get the top rated status and badge back next time around.

The two idle contracts, unless they never had anything paid for 2+ months, have not impact.

If there ARE contracts that have been open for months but never had anything paid, the best way to get back on track is to create some (any) income from those contracts quickly.

humbled
Community Member

Thanks - one of the jobs I have open has no earnings for months. I started working on it but it is a long project. I did some work and batted the project back to the client to do her thing which will take a few weeks. I didnt rush her/wasnt worried about getting paid as it will come when she is ready and Im not desperate for the cash. I spoke to the upwork support and they said that this was the reason for the drop.

I spoke to the client and she is going to release 50% of the payment today but it looks like this will be too late to save the top rated status. Im not devastated as I use upwork as a way to pick up nice small jobs from time to time and it is not my main income but it is a shame.

Does anyone know if I will get the top rated back when the score increases.

I reckon this is a definite floor in the scoring system.

petra_r
Community Member

James M wrote:

Thanks - one of the jobs I have open has no earnings for months. I started working on it but it is a long project. 

I spoke to the client and she is going to release 50% of the payment today but it looks like this will be too late to save the top rated status.

(The contract never had any payment under it, right? Because only that would affect your JSS) The client really only needs to release a single Dollar to reverse the effect. So true, you will be without your top rated status for a couple of weeks, but provided your eligible weeks are currently 15 or more, you probably get it back at the next update. If you do not have 15 or more eligible weeks at this point, it will take a longer time, because the ineligible weeks have to work their way through your entire 6 week window and start falling out again.

humbled
Community Member

Okay great thanks, I have my head around it now and will be getting a payment to reverse the issue from this one client.

I dont regularly check my upwork status so I dont know exactly when the top score fell below 90% - I also cant access the live chat anymore as my top rated status has gone so I cant ask support.

Does anyone know if there is a way I could look back and work out when I lost top rated?

Thanks for all the support everyone

petra_r
Community Member

James M wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a way I could look back and work out when I lost top rated?

Go to your My Stats Page

What does it say for "eligible weeks?" 

If you were top rated for months, you can tell because that's when your eligible weeks started dropping off.

For top rated, you need 13 out of 16. This current week will count as ineligible as will next week, because your JSS is below 90%.

You want the current eligible weeks to be 15 weeks or better, so you will only have dropped to 13 by the time the JSS is recalculated.

humbled
Community Member

Fantastic info thanks for this.

I feel quite good to say Ive got my jss back to 100% and top rated back. I never really appreciated it until I lost it, you dont know what youve got til its gone!

bundie702
Community Member

In order to remain Top Rated you have to have steady earnings, X number of weeks out of the last X number of weeks (sorry, I don't remember the exact numbers but I think it's about one quarter, or 13 weeks) in addition to having a JSS of 90% or higher. I had lost my Top Rated status after working on a big project for a private client that took up much of my time. I have since gotten it back. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members