Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Successive contracts from a client in a short time. Any downside/flags?

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
1 of 10

Hi,

 

I am doing my 4th fixed price contract for a client in a span of 15-20 days. He is from the US and my IP is from India. Can such activity lead to false flags by the system? Or is this too normal, and nothing to worry about?

 

Cheers!

Ashish

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 10

I have had several contracts from the same client with no issues, but we are both from the US. Are you thinking that your location will make a difference?

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
3 of 10

@Tonya P wrote:

I have had several contracts from the same client with no issues, but we are both from the US. Are you thinking that your location will make a difference?


 I meant that multiple US India contracts with the same client could be safer than US-US. But i posted here because I have no idea about this, just wanted different opinions.

 

I want to know whether honest cases have gotten flagged with regard to this situation. Better to know now, than to regret later.

 

Regards,

Ashish.

gnakeur
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
4 of 10

Why should it be a problem? I guess it is one and the same client. I did 3 fixed price jobs for the client in a period of 1 month and I had no problems with it. He has his account/credit card, I have my own account/credit card. He gives me money, upwork takes its comission, everybody is happy. There should not be any reason to suspect I think unless you are really cheating.

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
5 of 10

@Giorgi N wrote:

Why should it be a problem? I guess it is one and the same client. I did 3 fixed price jobs for the client in a period of 1 month and I had no problems with it. He has his account/credit card, I have my own account/credit card. He gives me money, upwork takes its comission, everybody is happy. There should not be any reason to suspect I think unless you are really cheating.


Thanks. But you never know what algorithms can do sometimes. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 10

We can only guess, but I think it takes more than that to flag an account. I'm sure if the client was using a public proxy or Wi-Fi, it would have a better chance of causing flags. I have customers in Singapore and Japan that just throw me milestones without saying much because we've been working together for a few months now. No need to say much. These are the best customers to have!  

 

I'm sure they review conversations first, but I doubt having several contracts in a row from the same guy flag the account without having some kind of other red flag.

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
7 of 10

@Jennifer M wrote:

We can only guess, but I think it takes more than that to flag an account. I'm sure if the client was using a public proxy or Wi-Fi, it would have a better chance of causing flags. I have customers in Singapore and Japan that just throw me milestones without saying much because we've been working together for a few months now. No need to say much. These are the best customers to have!  

 

I'm sure they review conversations first, but I doubt having several contracts in a row from the same guy flag the account without having some kind of other red flag.


Maybe I should switch to adding milestones than starting a new contract. I have enough message evidence to prove my case in any such eventuality, I guess I shouldn't give this much more thought. Thanks for the help!

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
8 of 10

@Ashish K wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

We can only guess, but I think it takes more than that to flag an account. I'm sure if the client was using a public proxy or Wi-Fi, it would have a better chance of causing flags. I have customers in Singapore and Japan that just throw me milestones without saying much because we've been working together for a few months now. No need to say much. These are the best customers to have!  

 

I'm sure they review conversations first, but I doubt having several contracts in a row from the same guy flag the account without having some kind of other red flag.


Maybe I should switch to adding milestones than starting a new contract. I have enough message evidence to prove my case in any such eventuality, I guess I shouldn't give this much more thought. Thanks for the help!


I would just keep the contract open and add milestones if he is giving you work often.  That really keeps the JSS up there for having long term, active clients.  If the work becomes less frequent, then close the contract.  The more the contract is worth, the more it weighs on your rating.  Smiley Wink 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
9 of 10

Ashish,

This is not a problem.

 

This is a good thing.

 

Successive fixed-price contracts with the same client will earn the same amount of money as multiple milestones in one contract, yet they let you accrue MORE JOBS, and MORE FEEDBACK, which benefits you.

 

And your Job Success Score is helped because this counts as a long-term client.

 

Each time you close a fixed-price contract rather than keep it open, you eliminate risk.

 

I like that.

 

That fixed-price contract is closed. You got feedback on it. If things take a turn for the worse with a client, the cient can't give you bad feedback on a $3000 project, and then you have to consider whether to issue a refund to prevent that... Your last fixed-price mini-contract was only for $150, so there's far less risk in that, far less potential negative impact.

 

Simply answered: No. Multiple successive contracts with a client do not have a downside and do not trigger flags within Upwork's system that identify you as doing anything wrong.

View solution in original post

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
10 of 10

Thanks for that Preston! I think that logic is sound. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS