🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Sudden change in contract, resulting in huge ...
Page options
9b8136b6
Community Member

Sudden change in contract, resulting in huge income loss.

Hello fellow freelancers,

I started working for this guy at the beginning of August. I signed a contract for a long term job, working for $17 an hour. I am writing blog articles for him. Suddenly his assistant messages me, saying that they will be paying me $0,045 per word from now on. This is resulting in a huge income loss for me and my fiance, I am also pregnant (so there are extra expenses).

How I came to accepting the new contract, I misread the rate ($0.45 instead of $0.045). Help me, what should I do?
1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Megan M wrote:
 Suddenly his assistant messages me, saying that they will be paying me $0,045 per word from now on. This is resulting in a huge income loss for me .

How I came to accepting the new contract, I misread the rate ($0.45 instead of $0.045). Help me, what should I do?

Didnt you think $0.45 would be a bit steep considering an hourly rate of just $17? That would be just 38 words an hour... You're a student, very few clients would pay you anywhere near that.

How many words do you usually write an hour if $0.045 causes a "huge income loss?" That's under 380 words an hour to get the exact same $ 17 per hour?

As to what you can do:

Choice 1 - Accept the new terms

Choice 2 - Negotiate

Choice 3 - End the contract

Choice 4 - Write more efficiently (faster)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members