cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop of JSS

jeanjocel
Mary Jean Jocel L Member Since: Sep 10, 2018
1 of 9

I'm not sure how you compute JSS but I'm curious why mine suddenly dropped from 96% to 89% in less than a month? I had no negative feedback during that time and all my clients were satisfied.

I remember ending one contract of a client with no work done because the client did not get back to me after starting the contract. If this is the reason why my JSS dropped, you are unfair I must say. It was not my fault. And for my idle contracts, it's not my fault either, the clients should be contacted about it. 

I hope I can get an answer for this because It's frustrating how we work hard to get a good score but then it drops with no valid reason.

joanbonjoc
Community Guru
Jo-An B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
2 of 9

Hi Mary Jean, Job Success Scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. Because this information isn’t included in a freelancer’s star rating, your JSS may differ dramatically from your star rating. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Please check this helpful article about JSS.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
financemark
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
3 of 9

Jo-An

Thank you for NOT answering the question.

martinceisel
Community Leader
Martin C Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
4 of 9

This happened to me today, which I figured out after Upwork emailed me telling me I had "temporarily" lost my Top Rated status. Allow me to translate: "You're not Top Rated any more and you have to start from week 0 again."

This is the second time this happened in the past year and half. I just recovered Top Rated six+ months after I first lost it. Both times, I received canned responses from Upwork support staff, quite similar to Jo-An B's response to you:

"Here is how the algorithm works. Somewhere, something caused your JSS drop, but we cannot tell you what or how so that you might avoid this in the future."

That's all we get. And I agree with you: this is growing increasingly frustrating. No specifics. No information that we might use to avoid this hit to our profiles in the future. Just: "Here is what our algorithm does, please go read this generic KB."

Under this model, it's the freelancers that are penalized for any kind of radar blip. Think about it: a client could hire you, disappear halfway through the contract, then come back the next week and do it again to the next freelancer. The fact that they bailed, didn't leave feedback, etc.—this "negative outcome," as the support agent put it today, only really hurts the freelancer's ability to get work. Go look at job postings from hiring clients with three-star ratings or no work history on the platform—there will be five, ten, twenty proposals.

With such a large pool of eager, mostly low-earning and beginner freelancers on the platform, hiring clients have much less to lose by doing all the unprofessional things (ghosting freelancers, cancelling contracts, not leaving feedback) that Upwork freelancers get bloody slammed for. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 9

@Martin C wrote:

Under this model, it's the freelancers that are penalized for any kind of radar blip. Think about it: a client could hire you, disappear halfway through the contract, then come back the next week and do it again to the next freelancer. The fact that they bailed, didn't leave feedback, etc.

It does not matter if your client vanishes halfway through the contract, or leaves no feedback as long as you managed to do some work and get paid something under the contract, provided you don't have a significant percentage of such contracts. There are endless freelancers with dozens of idle contracts and / or no feedback contracts and 100% JSS.

A contract becomes a "negative outcome:"

• if it closes without payment and either no or poor private feedback.

OR

• It closes with poor public and / or private feedback.

OR

• If it has been open for months without anything ever having paid (once something has been paid it stops being a negative factor)

If you avoid "Nothing paid" contracts by not accepting a contract until you have the means to do the first milestone (or at least request partial payout of that first milestone) it doesn't matter if the occasional client vanishes or leaves no feedback.

Other than "nothing paid contracts" what hits you is poor feedback (public and or private)

What's your private feedback percentage? (The "Clients who would recommend you" percentage on your My Stats page, which only includes the private feedback from clients who actually left you some, excluding "no feedback" contracts - and is over the lifetime of your profile, not a 6, 12 or 24 month window like the public JSS)

financemark
Community Guru
6 of 9

Except that my JSS drops when NONE of those Negative Outcome are a factor.

Truth is that if you do not work for a period of time -- your JSS will drop -- that is the only factor that I am able to access.

Thankfully, thoughtful, quality-seeking, clients seem to undrestand that this JSS is nonsense. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 9

@Mark K wrote:

Except that my JSS drops when NONE of those Negative Outcome are a factor.

Truth is that if you do not work for a period of time -- your JSS will drop -- that is the only factor that I am able to access.

Not really, or rather it does not drop BECAUSE you didn't work. In that case it comes down to the calculation windows.

If you don't work enough to have a 6 month JSS at all the JSS defaults to the next window, which may be the one that has a negative factor in it so yes, if your 6 month JSS was 100 until your contracts dropped out of it, it'll pick either your 12 or 24 month JSS as it takes the best of the ones that can be calculated. If the best of the 2 remaining windows is worse than your 6 month one was it will go to that because you don't, de facto, have a 6 month window anymore.

financemark
Community Guru
8 of 9

So, my JSS is diminished if I dont work on UW? Is that correct?

BC, if so, that is flat-out dumb!!!!

martinceisel
Community Leader
Martin C Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
9 of 9

Other than "nothing paid contracts" what hits you is poor feedback (public and or private)

What's your private feedback percentage? (The "Clients who would recommend you" percentage on your My Stats page, which only includes the private feedback from clients who actually left you some, excluding "no feedback" contracts - and is over the lifetime of your profile, not a 6, 12 or 24 month window like the public JSS)

Currently, the private feedback percentage is 83%. Here's the thing, though: it has been 83% since as long as I can remember (if I'm not mistaken or just now waking up from some curious hallucinogenic trance state). It was 83% this entire year, which I spent diligently working through contracts and re-earning the Top Rated badge.

PS Thank you for such a detailed reply, Petra. There's a lot of info there about outcomes that I was unaware of. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS