Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden end to job recommendations and responses

clarer
Clare Anne R Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
1 of 4

Hi

I was doing quite well on Upwork in the first couple of months, getting enough work to keep a roof over my head and feeling excited about the future.

But suddenly, one week ago, it all seemed to dry up. All week I did not have one job recommendation email and proposals sent have all met with silence.

I have read that when clients post a job, that the proposals get divided into folders, one of which is like a hidden folder. I am wondering if it is possible that the algorithm might have started making my proposals and replies to invitations hidden to clients. I know it is possble that these clients just did not choose me because others appeared better options, but together with the sudden halt to all job recommendations, I am just wondering if there is more to it.

I contacted support about the sudden end to job recommendations and they have asked me to wait two weeks and if I still have not had any after two weeks, to contact them again....two weeks is the time they update the algorithm isnt it? So it makes me think that for some reason the algo doesn't like me right now.

Has anyone else had a problem like this, does the end to job recommendation emails, signify some kind of penalty being incurred by the algorithm?

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

@Clare Anne R wrote:

Hi

I was doing quite well on Upwork in the first couple of months, getting enough work to keep a roof over my head and feeling excited about the future.

But suddenly, one week ago, it all seemed to dry up. All week I did not have one job recommendation email and proposals sent have all met with silence.

I have read that when clients post a job, that the proposals get divided into folders, one of which is like a hidden folder. I am wondering if it is possible that the algorithm might have started making my proposals and replies to invitations hidden to clients. I know it is possble that these clients just did not choose me because others appeared better options, but together with the sudden halt to all job recommendations, I am just wondering if there is more to it.

I contacted support about the sudden end to job recommendations and they have asked me to wait two weeks and if I still have not had any after two weeks, to contact them again....two weeks is the time they update the algorithm isnt it? So it makes me think that for some reason the algo doesn't like me right now.

Has anyone else had a problem like this, does the end to job recommendation emails, signify some kind of penalty being incurred by the algorithm?

It, probably, is not something personal, Claire.  I have learned that the freelancing business is susceptible to storms in any form.  I have also experienced "dry" times.  Even the most experienced freelancers in this community have been exposed to the perils of these times, too.

View solution in original post

davidd1008
Community Leader
David D Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
3 of 4

Could be any number of things. Also keep in mind that August can be a slow month for a lot of businesses (in the USA at least). 

Could be there's just not a lot of work going  around. I'm in a similar situation, I haven't had much interest or proposals my way in the last few weeks. Give it a couple more weeks and see where you're at then. Things come and go in waves sometimes. 

yuriytigiev
Yuriy T Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
4 of 4

Hello, 

Why I don't recieve "Job Recommendations" ? How to fix this problem? All settings of notifications are correct.

Yuriy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS