cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden increase of hourly rate

Md. Nazmul Islam K Member Since: Nov 3, 2013
11 of 35
I am also facing this situation. I appreciate it.
manzur a Member Since: May 23, 2013
12 of 35
oDesk Hourly rate is now minimum $3. oDesk and Elance are now same rates. I hope it will be good for us.
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
13 of 35
Hi everyone, We are constantly testing different levers to increase the efficiency of the oDesk marketplace to ensure clients are finding the freelancers they need and freelancers are getting the jobs that they are best suited for. We have several tests running to understand what impact a minimum wage would have on the marketplace. As this is a complex area, we expect to run these tests in the marketplace for a significant time period. However we are not currently implementing a universal minimum wage. Hope this helps!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Yssien Bryl S Member Since: Nov 28, 2013
14 of 35
i am also facing the same problem. that's why most of the clients declined my aplication since my hourly rate on my application is 4$ and they are looking for lower rates.can't even change it, but on my profile it displays as 1$.
Ma Loisa Forthessa D Member Since: Aug 26, 2010
15 of 35
This process would benefit freelancers and not good for clients. But $3 minimum rate is still too little for clients from the US, Australia, and other European to spend on a freelancer, compare to their actual workers who work on their offices or in the field. I go to the other freelance site to apply for hourly jobs, because the minimum hourly rate there is $3 and for minimum fixed price bidding is $20... I only go back here in Odesk if my application credit rans out on the other site. I hope you can set a minimum for fixed rate bidding also, depending on budget indicated by client. I still love Odesk, here is where I earned a lot when I was starting to be a online Freelancer... but the bidding process now is getting so competitive that even someone can bid for 1cent. I also hope that you could let us view faster the average bidding results like years ago, so we could know how much to bid on a job.
Iya V Member Since: May 29, 2013
16 of 35
it doesn't benefits some freelancers like me. I have been working on Odesk as a freelance virtual assistant, I have lots of experiences and skills for the past 24 months but I can't consider myself expert and worthy to be rated $4 an hour. I am afraid to accept contracts rating me $4 because I may not deliver what they are expecting from me.
Ray Alex M Member Since: Jan 19, 2014
17 of 35
You're definitely right. The reason why most clients prefer Odesk because they can try a freelancer and then withdraw when they aren't satisfied with its service. And that's what a minimum hourly rate does. If a freelancer charges too low hourly rate then it's up to her/him. He/She accepted the deal with that rate so that means it's not too low for him. I hope this beta test ends. Can't find a job anymore. Doesn't help alot of freelancers.
Shehnaj F Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
18 of 35
Most of the jobs posted in oDesk now a days containing the feature "Entry Level- I am looking for freelancers with the lowest rates" OR " Do not bid above $2/hr" etc. and oDesk restricted my asking rate from $4 to above. If oDesk try to implement he minimum wage even for a trial basis- this should be same for all. Some one can bid below $4 and some one not. Isn't it a discrimination? How can I expect to get a job where the platform is not same for all? How long this will continue? Thanks! Shehnaj
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
19 of 35
For far too long there has been this issue of "low bidders" and the quality of Odesk at question. No one should bid for work at such low rates, and while $3.00 or $4.00 an hour is even very low, it sure does even out the playing field a great deal. There is no sense is being so cheap just to get a job. Skill is what is important. Who cares if the work is cheap if it isn't worth a d**n? When I see a comment such as this OP gave about the $1.00 bidding being his or her competitive edge it made me sick. Don't they have anything else to work with, and if they don't--well then they don't need to be in this business. You will always get exactly what you pay for, but let's be clear too. Hiring the appropriate ways and keeping a level of respect for each side is just as important. Cheap labor is not perfect; and it is wrong. If you feel you need to bid $.50 cents to $1.00 per hour to do a job then you really need to consider what your own worth is. People need to quit complaining about this when it is something that has been up in the air for quite some time.
Chris C Member Since: Mar 21, 2009
20 of 35
To understand the unfortunate impact of raising the minimum wage, you have to talk with the contractors and really understand their situation at home in their respective countries. Not to say this was designed to "protect" them, but if it was, it surely does the exact opposite. For many, Odesk is the best and ONLY alternative form of work that they can find aside from grueling labor jobs in horrible conditions. Odesk is the most convenient tool they use to provide for their family. Labor conditions in many third world countries are extremely bad, so before assuming that raising the minimum wage is going to help overall, while it may increase the bottom line of odesk and help them become a more efficient company, it's truly going to hurt contractors with little to no experience, little English skills or any skills, from making a living and "breaking" into the market. Understand that some people make 50 cents an hour in their countries and are forced to walk many miles to their job and work grueling 12 hours shifts. At the very least whatever rate they are getting on Odesk, they can work out of the comfort of their own home and be on the road to build a reputation that may garner them a minimum wage equivalent to that of the US which enables them to be the sole provider of their families. So while it seems like an ugly practice on the surface to try and contract with those overseas at low rates, one must truly step back, or even engage with the contractors themselves....learn their situation and truly understand why they would be willing to aggressively pursue a contract with such a low hourly. It's all about perspective. I use to wrestle with this as well until I talked to countless contractors that assured me that Odesk was nothing short of a savior. Low rates and all.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS