🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suddenly client send me his phone number
Page options
080923bb
Community Member

Suddenly client send me his phone number

Hi Upworkers,

A client has sent me his number to contact me on my cell for an interview before they hire. I am not sure if this is a violation of Upwork terms. Please advice. Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sullivanliz
Community Member

It's a violation to talk off-platform before a contract is in place, so yes - this would be a violation. Let the potential client know that pre-contract discussions must take place on Upwork. If they get weird about it or try to insist, they're probably trying to scam you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sullivanliz
Community Member

It's a violation to talk off-platform before a contract is in place, so yes - this would be a violation. Let the potential client know that pre-contract discussions must take place on Upwork. If they get weird about it or try to insist, they're probably trying to scam you.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

A lot of clients take no interest in understanding how Upwork works or what the rules are. Send this client something like the following:

“During our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we only use Upwork’s own version of Zoom, rather than WhatsApp, Zoom, Hangouts, etc., to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052511833-Get-to-know-each-other-before-a-contract

Video and Voice Calls – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

After that call I can start work on this (immediately OR as soon as Upwork confirms your payment method). We can then use any method of communication you prefer."

I also add similar text to all my proposal for new projects. If a new client ignores that in their response to me, I resend the same information to them. Most have no problem with following Upwork’s rules in this respect.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members