🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Suddenly ending contracts without prior n...
Page options
khassani
Community Member

Suddenly ending contracts without prior notification

Hello Upwork community,

Recently i've had a client ending a contract with more than 10K$ spent without prior notification of at least a couple of days.

I've worked on this contract since July 2021 for 20 hours per week. Since this date I turned down other job opportunities so as not to be overloaded.

I think that Upwork should impose a pending period for clients wishing to add contracts where they spent more than 10K $, this would give us freelancers the opportunity to plan for what lies ahead.

I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts about such cases.

Best regards

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

karim h wrote: Recently i've had a client ending a contract with more than 10K$ spent without prior notification of at least a couple of days..

It is the nature of freelancing that a contract can come to an end at any time and for any reason. You might hope that clients who have a good relationship with their freelancers would give a bit of a heads-up, but that can't be enforced.

I think that Upwork should impose a pending period for clients wishing to end contracts where they spent more than 10K $

No. They shouldn't get involved in that sort of thing and there is no basis for something like that.

khassani
Community Member

I can only agree with what you said, I guess it comes down to how professional a client is. Ending contracts and restructring teams is of course part of freelancing, so it's the responsability of a freelancer to expect at all times and have a backup plan.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You are not an employee. There is no notice period. People seem to like that about freelancing since it goes both ways. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members