🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Suddenly stop getting work on upwork
Page options
codifysolutions
Community Member

Suddenly stop getting work on upwork

Hey there,

From 2017. I don't know what happend but I stopped getting work upwork suddenly. I have reviews , good profile, job success score everything inspite of this I am not getting work on upwork.

This is more frustrating , if you put thounds of proposals and you don't get any job. Is there country  problem ?? because I noticed that. If so then it doesn't make sense to purchase connects etc.

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks!

Prasad

13 REPLIES 13
codifysolutions
Community Member

Sorry it was from 2018 when I stopped getting work.

Thanks!

Prasad

Hi Prasad,
This is happening to me too. I think there are too many freelancers who offer the lowest rate possible to get the contract. But this I unfair for who provides an excellent job but then has to pay 20% Upwork fees and exchange $ in local currency. We waste time, connects, money and our visibility, since Upwork change our status to private... Are you kidding me?
Upwork should do something to protect honest workers and discourage low rates.
Fab

Upwork must somehow help customers to understand that cheap rate doesn't mean a lower price.

Experienced freelancer can do in 1 hour 3x more work than the freelancer with 2x lower rate.

Hi Fabrizia & Valery,

Thanks for the replies and understand the situation. I really want more people come and open their views and expereinces. You both get it correct. Upwork has to do something for this.

But I saw how upwork system works. When client post their projects. They show them suggested freelancers and they all are top freelancers for invitations. If I bid that project. I don't know where my bid placed in which place. May be in the last or somewhere in the middle. Also I don't know what costs other developers offers. I know that AVG bid range available in their package but again have to spend money.

But now I am spending money and purchasing connects on Upwork so they have to help contractors to bargain and earn more money instead of helping clients only.

Thanks!

Prasad

The topic is as old as humanity.
When we enter shop and see 2 types of sausages, that look completely the same, one for $1 per kilo, and other $2. Our first intention is to buy the cheapest. Only buying two for comparison, we can understand the difference. Because no one normal manufacturer puts unreasonable high price. Definitely the expensive one is more tasty because of expensive, and, of course, more quality ingredients.
Upwork pretends to be seller. It has its profit in any case.

Of course Upwork could create complicate system of tests for each group of freelancers, to verify their working speed, with a lot of changeable exercises. Thing is, Upwork has its profit even without such unnecessary actions.
Upwork doesn't accept us as team members. We are just random people who can instantly interchange with others.
Real team members for Upwork are the nearest ambient of the direction and people who work in company on fixed base, not we, freelancers. Saying in primitive way, on base on my example, we are sausages. And seller, direction etc are team members

So, the only thing we can rely on, are market relations. Means, next time the customer will have more experience and will not choose the cheapest.

Hi Valery,

I understand that. You can wait but you can't wait for a year to winning jobs. What I want to say there will be some features for the freelancers where I can compete with other freelancers. Where I can check my compititors. But what is in my section is just bidding projects and wait nothing else.

I don't know I am correct or not but there should be some features in upwork who helps freelancers to win the projects. At least a chance ? 

OK. Let´s see.
The client publishes a complicate CAD project and finally chooses the $10/h freelancer.
What can help him to choose other, if he even doesn't want to understand that it's impossible to obtain a good hardware with such money, keep his software updated etc?
Moreover, do you really want to win such project? Do you want to work with this (Upwork will delete appropriate characteristics) person?
Moreover, many times I notice that client refuses me just after reading Armenia in my titles. You can put India instead.
Yes, it is not pleasant and it's offensive for me. But I understand that better not to work with closed-mind person. God keeps away such weirds.

Prasad W wrote:

Hi Valery,

I understand that. You can wait but you can't wait for a year to winning jobs. What I want to say there will be some features for the freelancers where I can compete with other freelancers. Where I can check my compititors. But what is in my section is just bidding projects and wait nothing else.

I don't know I am correct or not but there should be some features in upwork who helps freelancers to win the projects. At least a chance ? 

What sort of features? We all want to win projects, so we would all use these features, and therefore you'd be no better off.

Unfortunately, you can't rely on a good JSS score or being top-rated any more; there are tens of thousands of top-rated freelancers. (I actually think that Upwork should make it a lot more difficult to become top-rated - because it has become pretty meaningless - but perhaps that's a subject for another thread.)

I used to bid on 30-40 projects per month and get 5-6 decently-paid gigs out of it, but this is no longer possible. Having no access to US-only projects and receiving fewer invitations has definitely had a negative impact. I find that there are only about 4-5 projects per month that are worth bidding on these days - projects that I know I'm perfect for, which sound like the client is a serious professional with the potential for long-term work - so now I only bid on those projects and really try to knock it out of the park. And I've been getting 1 or 2 of these projects each month, and getting repeat business from these clients. So, you might want to give that a try, if all else has failed - raise your rates, up your game, and only go after the best clients. 

Christine A wrote:

I find that there are only about 4-5 projects per month that are worth bidding on these days - projects that I know I'm perfect for, which sound like the client is a serious professional with the potential for long-term work 

This has been the case for me my entire time on UpWork. And of those, I will get an offer, and then the client has changed their tune and tried to low-ball me, which I decline. I show up as being less hired as compared to my peers (although my peers pretty much don't specialize entirely in grant writing, they do other kinds of writing, while I only do grant writing and fundraising); however, that's because I only work with a certain kind of higher quality clientele. So I find the comparisons pointless.  So I take very few contracts on UpWork because they just don't have enough high-quality clients. I still have repeat clients on here, but I don't invest much time seeking out work on UpWork. If they had a better selection of clients in my field, then maybe, but they don't. But it's okay, I market in other ways and network and have plenty of work. 

I like having UpWork around and being able to find 1-2 clients a year on here (the two ongoing clients I've had from UpWork I've now had over 12 months and we're setting up additional milestones and contracts), but I did have hopes it would provide better connections for me. 

Valery K wrote:

Upwork must somehow help customers to understand that cheap rate doesn't mean a lower price.

Experienced freelancer can do in 1 hour 3x more work than the freelancer with 2x lower rate.

You can make this point in your proposal.  Or just don't waste your connects on the cheap ones.  If enough freelancers pass on jobs, clients will get the message.  Perhaps even better, come here and ask us why they don't get enough proposals!

Valery K wrote:

That's your job. Upwork isn't here to promote one freelancer over another, and shouldn't be. It's just an infrastructure you use to make your sales pitches and manage your contracts. Selling yourself is 100% your responsibility, just like when you're communicating with prospects in other venues.

codifysolutions
Community Member

Now Upwork introduce new features to attract more clients. "Popular Projects".

Where you can place your projects and it's cost. So Client can see and request. Hope this helps.

It sounds great, but how does it work? Where can I find more information about "popular projects"
Thanks
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths