cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Automatic message from Upwork to vanishing clients.

Ace Contributor
Maria C Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
1 of 5

Hi!

I know this topic has been discussed in the forums many times, but I think is an issue that needs to be addressed by Upwork, since affects most (if not all) freelancers: open jobs with vanishing clients.

As for me, I know that many of these clients expect to return and give me more work (or so they say) and that is why they don’t end the contracts and I don’t insist on it either. But after a while if they haven’t returned, and if I contact them (which is something I don’t like to do, they are busy and I don’t like to bother) and list all the things they are doing inadvertently that damage my reputation, such as leaving the contract open and idle, not providing feedback, providing a less than perfect private feedback, etc. etc., they will probably think I am making things up (there are so many factors!).

And again, as I have pointed out before, it is very awkward and not professional at all. Upwork shouldn’t encourage freelancers to do this type of thing.

So here is my suggestion: Why don’t Upwork send an automatic message to all clients whose contracts have been paused due to inactivity or fixed projects without new milestones after a month, and let them know that they need to end the contract if they don’t have more work. I mean, this would be a nice gesture from Upwork and would make our lives as freelancers much easier.

I really want to stay on this platform, I am still building my reputation, but I have worked in wonderful projects with great clients during the last six months, so I appreciate the existence of Upwork, just want to make the user experience a little better for freelancers.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 5

"Why don’t Upwork send an automatic message to all clients whose contracts have been paused due to inactivity or fixed projects without new milestones after a month, and let them know that they need to end the contract if they don’t have more work"

It's an obvious, elegant, simple solution.

That's why...Robot Sad

Ace Contributor
3 of 5

And it doesn't cost Upwork that much... Smiley Indifferent

Please Upwork, throw us a little bone here Smiley Happy

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Maria,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion. While we will no be able to make clients close contract, we are considering some solutions for this issue. Stay tuned.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
5 of 5

Thank you Valeria! I am looking forward to it!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS