cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Change The Color of Upwork

Community Leader
Michael John M Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
11 of 29

Yes, backend development for Upwork is important, but so is front end development.

I don't want Upwork to be another redesign disaster such as Flickr or Digg.

Design, usability, accessibility, user experience these matters.

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
12 of 29

Every development and every change is important. Just at this point I see no reason in asking for things which don’t have huge influence on our working day when we have so many dysfunctional things that have.

We have bugs when we apply for jobs, send and receive messages, notifications and what not, so I don’t think they can be bother with the colour issues. I can get used to the green (I already did) but I doubt I’ll ever get used to having to check ten times if a message was delivered or if I was hired for a job 20 days before I was able to see that on my profile.    

Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
13 of 29

Michael's point is valid though. We don't have hard data to back it up, but there are many people who suspect the site is seeing a big drop-off in clients. We should not underestimate the effect of design. People decide whether or not they "trust" a website in a split-second, and with a professional space like Upwork, all it takes is something off-putting to have a potential client hit the back button.

When Upwork launched and I ambled on over from Elance, my first impression was, "Jeez, something doesn't feel 'professional' here." The color and text were a BIG part of that. And while I came to Elance to make a living, and was therefore willing to get past the weird first impression, most clients can run their business without this platform and are therefore more to say sayonara the second something feels "off."

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
14 of 29

Patric,

I am not saying that the design is irrelevant. However, I do believe that the bugs I have previously mentioned are more likely the cause for drop of clients (if any since this was never confirmed/denied).

There will always be people who like/dislike the font size, the color or the fact that the pictures are round. I can live with that as long as everything else is working as it should.

Community Leader
15 of 29

@Aleksandra

I understand you, I do really.

But it's just not a matter of preference for color, it's a matter of readability.

I have a 20/10 vision, a perfect color perception, a color-calibrated monitor, and yet I still find the text less than readable.

Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
16 of 29

Hello,

I really doubt that they will change these colors, it's their brand and these type of things don't change too often.

Anyways, Firefox has a nice small add-on which is called  "Color That Site!" 

What this add-on do is rewrites the website CSS and let's the user change the colors.

I have changed the color of that green button to that dark purple. Now each time I visit the frontpage the button has the new color! Of course, you need to use Firefox browser and have a decent understanding of how CSS classes work.

If anybody wants to use this extension, go ahead and play with it, you can actually make your own version of Upwork color scheme if you really want Smiley Happy

screenshot-www upwork com 2015-07-13 19-22-00.png

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
17 of 29

Cristian, seems you will be a good addition to the community. *Some good posts so far.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Leader
18 of 29

Thanks Setu, I appreciate all your replies, you know I have been reading this forum for a long time without posting. I learned a lot from people like you and others here!

P.S. Sorry for the off-topic Smiley Happy Try that Firefox extension, it's really nice!

Community Leader
19 of 29

@Cristian

That's fine for us who knows CSS, but what about those who don't?

What about potential clients who has a hard time reading the typography, because the color contrast is barely legible?

Community Leader
20 of 29

Yeah Michael, you are right, that's true but like I said, I doubt they will change the brand colors. 

I wish they did, not because I have any issue with this bright green but because I understand what low contrast means and how affects some users.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS