cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Edit Cover Letter

michelle_moo
Michelle Marie M Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
11 of 26

I had a problem and realised after checking my cover letters that when I had used an apostrophe, it changed to – on all my cover letters.  For example, I typed the would service´s and it changed to service –. 

I was mortified when I saw all my cover letters, where I had used an apostrophe had the same â€“.

I can only think this is because I am using a Spanish keyboard. Having the option to change these mistakes could have saved me from this embarrassment.

michelle_moo
Michelle Marie M Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
12 of 26

There you go, it has changed it on my post message too.

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
13 of 26

I'm sorry, but I think it is people`s responsibility to check their writings BEFORE they hit the submit button. What's so difficult about letting a cover letter "rest" for a bit and then look at it again with a fresh eye before sending it?

On top of that it's possible to either type in the word processing program of your choice first and run a spell check, or, even better imo, to include a spell check into your browser that will automatically show any mistakes. Okay, that sort of things won't catch double spacings or the like, but again, edit and proofread before you submit, not after.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 26

I am sure most of us do re-read and edit before submitting. However, small mistakes can creep into a proposal. So an edit feature would be very useful IMO. 

Writing a proposal in a language other than English can pose a problem. I sometimes write the letter with all the coded accents, but then attach the proposal as a word document.

It is notoriously difficult to proofread one's own work (even with the spell check, which is not always accurate on Word). If I do a long translation - I nearly always get someone else to proofread it before I deliver.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
15 of 26

Clients can change their job description,  so why can't we correct or edit our purposal.

I have had times I wrote out a long Cover letter, everything was correct and I was sure everything was in it and left out important information as well. It is very easy to do when you are going back and forth trying to read the job description and trying to get everything in that is relevant.

And in a perfect world everyone would check their spelling, everyone would have computers that did not miss a letter, do strange characters, leave spaces, and everyone's spell check would pick the correct meaning.

Not everyone is the best in grammer or spelling. I have seen doctors and the likes with some of t he worst.

My point is we should have an option to edit, even if for a very short time after we have submitted. It doesn't matter how careful I am, I find an error after I submit and wish I could update it.

amlord
Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
16 of 26

I thought of this thread earlier, after I submitted a proposal. I don't usually apply to many jobs, but this one sounded *very* interesting to me. I read the job post thoroughly, and made mental note of the "word" they wanted included "at the top of the email", (I am not sure if clients know what we see when we apply, but I assumed that meant at the top of the cover letter), so I kept telling myself to put that word at the top of the cover letter. However, when I went to apply there were two questions but no box for a cover letter. I carefully and thoroughly answered the two questions and ... completely forgot the "secret word"! I hit submit and almost immediately had that "Oh-No second". But at that point it was done.  

I figure my forgetting the "word" as well as the fact that they preferred someone who was a member of Pro Customer Service group (which I am not yet), means I wasted my chance!  Woman Frustrated

edg40
Ace Contributor
Edward G Member Since: Sep 22, 2014
17 of 26

I'm curious how many clients actually read the cover letters. I suspect many just look at your bid rate and your answers to their questions. I get the feeling few even bother looking at profiles. They just pick a few offering rates they like from amongst the list of Upwork recommended freelancers and start interviewing.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
18 of 26

@Edward G wrote:

I'm curious how many clients actually read the cover letters. I suspect many just look at your bid rate and your answers to their questions. I get the feeling few even bother looking at profiles. They just pick a few offering rates they like from amongst the list of Upwork recommended freelancers and start interviewing.

Edward,

I know the last couple interviews I had they had read my Cover Letter, as well as went over my profile as they were interested in several skills not mentioned in the cover letter. So I think "Some" do read your cover letter.

I had one who had skimmed over my rate and my cover letter and decided to interview me anyways as he was curious about my skills even though my rate he stated was much higher then he generally paid. Needless to say I did not get hired, but my cover letter got his attention. 

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
19 of 26

I can say on the last 3 jobs I got, my cover letter, combined with the data on my Profile, was the selling point to get the job.

I can express excitment about a job, or ask good questions in a cover letter. Can't do with your Profile. But your profile data is another stepping stone, and yes, many clients do look at them.

This is a lot like Intermet Marketing. You don't just do one thing to keep a website in the top 1 position on Google. In fact, you have to do a lot of different things, and keep doing them.

Marketing our services here on Upwork is much like that. One single thing isn't usually going to be your selling point. And making sure we make changes in our cover letters, based on each individual bid, is very important.

I have made some major mistakes when submitting cover letters.

1) Forgot my end salutation

2) Forgot their "secret word"

3) Realized I bid on the wrong job (LOL)

4) Forgot to address SOMETHNG in their job description that could have made a difference

So far, the best suggestion I have seen in this thread is to have 5 minute edit window. Long enough to make a differnece, but not too long.

edg40
Ace Contributor
Edward G Member Since: Sep 22, 2014
20 of 26

@Pandora H wrote:

So far, the best suggestion I have seen in this thread is to have 5 minute edit window. Long enough to make a differnece, but not too long.

Yeah, that would be a good thing.  As would the spell check button that is available for comments.  It found that you misspelled "difference" in the line I quoted above. Smiley Happy

However, with all the other things that need fixing or adding, I doubt cover letter editing is high on Upwork's To Do list.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS