Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Feedback for Every Milestone

g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
11 of 14

Providing feedback at each stage of the contract is a good idea.

I've seen many freelancers complain because a client left a vindictive review at the end of a contract, although they originally received consistently good feedback. Currently oDesk will only remove certain reviews at their discretion.

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
12 of 14

While I don't think this is a bad idea, it would be pretty unfair towards freelancers who work on long-term hourly jobs. So before the long overdue solution for hourly contracts (that afterall secure the success of the site and bring in the bulk of the revenue) hasn't been implemented, this would be one more step in the wrong direction. While not impossible, it's rather unlikely that someone makes $30+k on a single fixed price job. For hourly jobs, $30k is nothing, so it just takes one subpar rating to ruin a freelancers profile forever.

aseembhalla
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
13 of 14

It is true Kristina. We ignored the point about hourly jobs. Although it is totally wrong to say that fixing this issue on fixed price job will be a step in wrong direction but you are right about adding similar thing for hourly jobs. We should not try to discourage a suggestion just because it is not affecting us. Most of the clients that represent big companies often hire on hourly contracts which go on for months. Even though these clients are quite rare to find, I tend to become scared at the end of contract as even a slip of ratings from 5.0 to 4.0 will cause the overall rating to fall similarly and it will take a lot of effort to recover from that. Last time I ended a similar contract, I asked my manager several times if they were happy with the work and do not face any issues due to me leaving(I was totally nervous until the ratings showed up). Similar milestone system or may be monthly feedback should be introduced in hourly contracts as well.

P.S.: I hope that odesk is actually considering the suggestions they get from this forum instead of just being nice to us . 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 14

This is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard on Upwork, and there have been some doozies. 

The unnecessary feedback requirement already eats up too much client time and attention. I have clients who pay me for new tasks as bonuses on old jobs specifically because they've already left me feedback a few times and are sick of being forced to come up with new ways to phrase their comments (and that's totally understandable--I leave client feedback because it seems fair in the game we're forced into here, but it's a pointless and annoying exercise every time).

If clients are forced to waste time and energy leaving feedback and having to come up with something new to write at every stage of a project, those with actual jobs to do will undoubtedly want to lump more of the project into a single milestone to avoid all of the artificial hurdles, which means freelancers have more risk and get paid later.

I can't see any possible upside.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS