🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suggestion: Increase Minimum Price Bid/Budget
Page options
63db7f42
Community Member

Suggestion: Increase Minimum Price Bid/Budget

Isn't it time for Upwork to consider setting a minimum price for a freelancer bid or, more important, increase the minimum budget for a client's job?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Thyago M wrote:

Isn't it time for Upwork to consider setting a minimum price for a freelancer bid or, more important, increase the minimum budget for a client's job?

There is really no need. The market largely regulates itself. I understand how seeing people bid $3 an hour when your own rate is over $60 can be disconcerting, but honestly, the $3 an hour people are not your competition, nor are the $10 an hour ones. Your competition comes from the group of your peers.

So leave the $3 an hour jobs to the $3 an hour freelancers, you wouldn't like to work with those clients anyway, and stay in your lane believing in the value you provide at your pricepoint.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

I disagree.

The minimum is currently $5 for a fixed-price contract. $3/hour for hourly contracts.

I don't think all contracts are worth that. I would prefer to see lower minimums. But that is what Upwork has established as the minimum.

I'm not sure why you would need Upwork to increase their minimum. You can increase your own minimum whenever you want to.

Preston H wrote:

I disagree.

The minimum is currently $5 for a fixed-price contract. $3/hour for hourly contracts.

I don't think all contracts are worth that. I would prefer to see lower minimums.

You would? Like, how much lower?

re: "You would? Like, how much lower?"

I haven't thought about it that much.

Maybe $3 minimum fixed-price.

$2.50/hour minimum for hourly contracts.

But I understand that Upwork's current minimums aren't there because every freelancer's work is worth $3/hour.

Upwork's current minimums are in place because it isn't worth it to them financially to handle freelancers working below a certain minimum.

petra_r
Community Member

Thyago M wrote:

There is really no need. The market largely regulates itself. I understand how seeing people bid $3 an hour when your own rate is over $60 can be disconcerting, but honestly, the $3 an hour people are not your competition, nor are the $10 an hour ones. Your competition comes from the group of your peers.

So leave the $3 an hour jobs to the $3 an hour freelancers, you wouldn't like to work with those clients anyway, and stay in your lane believing in the value you provide at your pricepoint.

tlbp
Community Member

Thyago M wrote:

Like any marketplace, Upwork has tiers. Trying to fix the bottom tier isn't going to make it any easier for anyone to win contracts. Bottom tier gigs are still going to be a price-based free-for-all and top tier freelancers will still need to demonstrate their value. 

Minimums and strict gatekeeping are suitable for pay-to-play platforms or your own website. Not a general freelance platform. I think the real question you should be asking is, "Is Upwork the right platform for me?" They aren't going to rework the system to suit one freelancer or even a thousand freelancers.  

OP, you have a remarkable skill set. IMO, you should be pricing at $100+ and not considering anyone who doesn't have to budget to meet you there. Some amazing companies seek out high-skill talent on Upwork, you just need to put in the time to find them. 

geri_kol
Community Member

I fully agree with Tonya. Thyago, you are a PhD in computer science with a highly sought after skill set, please honor yourself and raise your hourly rate. From your brief but eloquent profile, one can tell you are also an ethical and conscientious person - this should be priceless to clients. 

dsmgdesign
Community Member

Thyago M wrote:

It doesn't bother me. Let the bottom feeders seek bottom feeders. I filter my job search and set my hourly minimum in the filter. So I normally only see jobs by prospective clients who understand quality service comes at a higher rate. Not always, there are still the jobs with broad ranges like $10-$60/hr that don't get filtered out, but it's MUCH better than having no filter at all. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members