🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suggestion: Location for license based projec...
Page options
75a2d707
Community Member

Suggestion: Location for license based projects

Problem:

Some professions, IE lawyers, architects, and engineers, require state licensure to do a project in that state.  Many clients I've seen only have the country listed for their location and do not mention in a project posting which state licensure is required.  Some clients are located in different states than the projects they are working on.  I personally spend time on my proposals to try to obtain jobs, and in my opinion it's a bad design flaw to have a lack of information to where a freelancer may not know if they are qualified for the project or not.  I am forced to either ignore projects without a location or to burn time on a proposal on the offchance that the project location is in one of the 2 out of 50 states that I'm licensed in.

Solution:

Upon client selecting the category and/or skills that commonly requires specific location licensure (IE if architecture is selected), provide a mandatory yes/no option to client of "Does this project require a professional License?".  If yes, provide an additional mandatory dropdown or blank box to fill in location where licensure is required.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

But this isn't a website for lawyers, architects, and engineers.

This is a general-use freelance work platform.

Upwork can't modify the user interface to accommodate every edge use case.

And the platform offers people to seek and provide work for freelance lawyers, architects, and engineers.  The platform is currently setting itself up for failure with those professions, and I provided a simple solution that would only affect those professions in a small but huge way.

Suggesting the UI can't be improved for specific professions sounds like a good way for the platform to keep those professions away.  Upwork is better off if more people use it, not less.  Making a small UI change is not a big ask to greatly increase the viability of upwork for freelancers of multiple professions.

I understand where you are coming from, and I think your comments here are thoughtful and intend to be helpful.

But if I'm being honest, I think such a modification to the user interface is unlikely to happen.

I don't work for Upwork, and I'm not in charge of making such decisions, but I have observed for many years what types of modifictions are made to the client-side user interface used to post jobs. I simply can't think of anything that Upwork has done to accommodate specific job niches, especially ones which comprise such a small percentage of the jobs being posted on the site.

jr-translation
Community Member

You need to post it in this thread.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members