🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suggestion: Online Time Percentage
Page options
majidadab
Community Member

Suggestion: Online Time Percentage

Hi Everyone,

One option which could be very useful for both freelancers and clients is "online time Percentage".

Definition:

it means how much a freelancer spends time in Upwork website and community and also desktop app since registering in Upwork.

System of Calculation:

the time ( hour ) which a freelancer is online and the green circle is on beside his/her profile picture PLUS  the time which a freelancer is in logging by the desktop app DIVIDED by total hours since registering in Upwork MULTIPLY by 100

Goals and benefits:

Freelancers: the freelancer knows that how much time he/she puts in preparing proposals and finding jobs and could compare it to other freelancers. it will encourage new freelancers to put more time and try to be online and find jobs in the Upwork system.

Clients: clients could know the level of insistence and availability of a freelancer. 

if this option also is written for clients in the "about clients status bar", freelancers should know the availability of clients and maybe change their approach in working with that client.

Default Status:

I think this option default status should be "private" and if someone wants, he/she could change the mode to "public"

Regards

Majid

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Majid A wrote:

One option which could be very useful for both freelancers and clients is "online time Percentage".

With all due respect, this is pretty much the most pointless suggestion as to what features Upwork should introduce I've seen to date.

Clients don't want their freelancers to be playing about on the platform.

Clients don't want freelancers to be applying for other contracts.

Clients don't care how long a freelancer spends writing proposals.

Clients want their freelancers to spend their time doing the jobs they hire them for. The End

As a freelancer, I couldn't possibly care less how much time a client spends on the platform. 

I want them to hire me, give me the details, leave me in peace to get their job done and pay me. What they do outside of that is none of my business and of no interest to me.

Dear Petra,

First, Thanks for your fast and cursory reply.

Second, because of this reply, I will suggest that "default status" should be private or it always could be private.

because the benefit of this percentage is personal and I am aware of a fake increase or maybe the non-determinative function of this option.

but, as a freelancer in the Upwork system, you should consider that the times which you put in finding the job and preparing a proposal or even as you mentioned just playing with the platform is the time of your work. for example after one year and reaching 40K earnings in this system, you should not just see the hours which you logged and divide it to calculate your hourly rate in the Upwork.

The real hourly rate for a freelancer is his/her total earnings divided by "total online time" on this platform. you know. it is very determinative from a freelancer's point of view. ( if he/she knows it ).

Regards

Majid

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I see no benefit, only a huge privacy issue. If you want to track your time, there are lots of free trackers available online. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members