Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Replace Top Rated with Levels

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
51 of 82

David G asked: "Just out of interest, what's wrong with the job search?"

In addition to what Fergus has explained, even sorting the jobs by 'Most Recent' after selecting your category is no longer behaving as it should. Today I tried a job search and the results are just random. I noticed there was a big problem when the first job on the list was hours old. I re-checked and confirmed that the search isn't responding according to anything you define.

Then I look up at the top right hand corner and I see 'Sign Up' and 'Log In'... And I'm wondering, aren't I in already? My foot! Where is the 'Log Out' button? I begin getting anxious and I close the tab - didn't see another way out. Then I decide to log in again to see if I'm really out and guess what? I wasn't even taken through signing in - the site just took me to my open page; with my profile picture and all. I don't know what that says about the other issue of security.

In short, David G, thinking you can identify jobs as they come in and be amongst the first to apply now has become a matter of luck and not planning. You don't know what sorting criteria will work and which one won't. In fact, the time my job search seemed to respond to 'Most recent' was a trial on All Categories; and even then, not always.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
52 of 82

@fergus M wrote:

It doesn't have to be simple; it just has to be not **bleep**e. Elance has a lot more features than Upwork does but it's also a lot more reliable. Sure, it's far from perfect, but at least you can search for jobs properly.

Fergus,

This is not Elance, This is Upwork, It is not Odesk.

We already have some of the features such as Connects, and an upgraded membership. They aren't going to change their JS system to something else. They don't care what any of us think.

The one thing that people from Elance keep hollering about like it is a new concept is the system. We have all hollered about the system till we are tired and can no longer holler about it any more.

The only responses we get are cut and paste generic comments.

Like every corporate system most of the lower workers have their hands tied and are told how to respond to things.

Upworks upper management does not care what any of us think. They have this like idea of how things should work although many probably have never worked a freelancing job in their life but they think they know what will work and they don't really care.

So we can all complain about Upwork till we are blue in the face and have them pit one against the other, or we can all try to get along as I am not an Odesker any longer and you are not an Elancer. Whether by choice or not we are going to have to either live with what they have done or move on. 

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
53 of 82

"we can all try to get along as I am not an Odesker any longer and you are not an Elancer."

I'm staying on Elance as long as I can. I don't have to wait a week to get paid there, and any clients I manage to pick up before September can be brought over here at the Elance 8.75% rate, so I'd be silly to abandon the platform while there's still money to be made from it. Beyond that I have no loyalty to the Elance brand. My brand is my own business and that's what matters to me. Elance is just a tool; Upwork is a different tool, one that costs more and doesn't have as many functions. As I've said to other people though, all my criticisms are directed at the platform, not at former oDeskers. I don't see this as Elance v oDesk. All I'm doing is asking for the platform to be fixed.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
54 of 82

Better search = less use of Connects = less money for the establishment. Better search, not going to happen.

Ron aka LanWanMan
fergusm1970
Community Guru
55 of 82

Surely better search would mean more connects, because people would be more likely to find something that was actually worth bidding on?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
56 of 82

@fergus M wrote:

Surely better search would mean more connects, because people would be more likely to find something that was actually worth bidding on?

Yup, it's the end of the month and I still have 44 connects because I really can't find anything worth applying for.

It's been an upward trend in the past 3 months - either the jobs are not there at all or I just cannot find them/they don't find me.

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
57 of 82

You might be right Fergus. Maybe it would work out the other way. That is, better search might entice freelancers to use more Coonects. Nevertheless, the search features on the core platform are a joke.

Ron aka LanWanMan
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
58 of 82

Hi All,

Note that some posts on this thread have been removed because they violated the Community Guidelines and values. Please, refrain from making disrespectful remarks about other members of the Community, Upwork staff and Upwork, Elance and oDesk brands.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
gmang
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
59 of 82

I'm going to be devil's advocate here, because I don't think Elance's levels were ever of any use to anyone. I think Top Rated at least will have a minimun impact on the clients when selecting freelancers, and it's a good thing.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
60 of 82

The bar for top rated is set way too low, though. $1,000 earned in the last year? That's a joke.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS