Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Replace Top Rated with Levels

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
71 of 82

Regarding the $1,000 earnings criteria for Top Rated, I view it as a measure of whether the freelancer is active or not; a way to drop freelancers from Top Rated status because they are inactive or nearly inactive. I doubt very much it was intended to segregate top earners from those that make less.

Ron aka LanWanMan
gmang
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
72 of 82

Agreed. Top Rated should be about profesionalism and quality of work. Earnings have nothing to do with it. A person might only make a couple of jobs a year through upWork and be a stunning professional.

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
73 of 82

Consider that factoring in earnings (even on a scaled ratio), prevents quite a bit of fraudulent inflation of profiles.

Otherwise it would be too easy to hire yourself for a buck from another profile and then give yourself a stellar review.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
74 of 82

"Top Rated should be about profesionalism and quality of work."

Yes. Professionals who do high quality work earn more.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
gmang
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
75 of 82

You are asuming the website is the main source of income of the freelancer. It's not always the case.

I agree that the freelancer has to have done a minimum amount of works for the feedback to be reliable, but pushing it too much would exclude freelancers who only use the website as an alternate source for finding jobs.

michael-remus
Community Leader
Michael R Member Since: May 18, 2015
76 of 82

When I see the receivables for min. earnings as high as possible, I ask myself, are they afraid of the competition with freelancers, who do just a couple of jobs each year, or is it missing trust in their own skills if they come in a competition that is harder than at other platforms? Honestly, the top earning freelancers were already top earner before the introduction of the "Top Rated" badge, and they are still. If I lose my badge this Sunday, I don't care. My current clients trust me, and new clients want to be convinced with the proposal and in the interview. Only if they doubt at this two steps, a possible badge comes in play. If someone thinks this badge is important, he should simply do his work with the expected results or better.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
77 of 82

"If someone thinks this badge is important"

I don't. I think it's stupid and unprofessional. However if we have to have it I'd much rather the entry bar was set at a meaningful level.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
78 of 82
The Top Rated badge is not just for show. It influences far more than you understand, not just the clients mind.

It determines where you fall in an application list, if you are "best fit" to the client, if you are chosen by the algorithm as recommended, how many invites you get, and so much more.

There is a lot still left to be understood about that decorative badge. It opens many doors on the platform.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
fergusm1970
Community Guru
79 of 82

"The Top Rated badge is not just for show."

Then it's even more important to set the criteria at a meaningful level.

"It opens many doors on the platform."

And that's exactly what I hate about Upwork. I just want a platform that presents me with a list of jobs and lets me bid on them, then provides a secure and FAST payment system. I do not like all this screwing around with badges, special secret forums, hidden bids, meaningless "job success" scores and other bilge. We're professionals. Professionals should be able to identify suitable clients and pitch them a good proposal. That's what should determine who gets the job, not badges.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
80 of 82
Good luck with that Fergus.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS