🐈 Community
m_meadors

Suggestion: Report button for "fake" employers

So, I apply to this job. I am thinking that maybe it could be real. Very detailed and looks good. I get correspondence from this person who is "supposedly" in the HR Department. 

He had me fooled all the way up until he begins the schematics of the Nigerian Bank Scam.

It really enfuriates me that this Upwork.com can't make this website register and confirm a cell phone number so that a person is verified and also filter out google hangouts numbers as verifiable numbers. I figure, it might cost them alot of money but this website is getting paid on every job and the commission starts out pretty good for upwork.com. I think that to make this site feel like a battle on Craigslist makes it so irritating. I am not happy about this.

Is there anything you can do to report a person as well. I find that you have no support when something like this happens. During the time that I was in conversation with this person, I wanted to turn him in. However, if I wanted to, I could not. These acts of financial criminality should never be an issue on here. I don't think an employer should even be able to correspond with anyone unless they are fully verified and a penny has been taken out of their account. If I pay money to use this site from my labor 25% or more, I figure that they should handle everything so it feels like a real place of work / business.**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael, 

I'm sorry if you had an unfortunate experience on the platform. You should be able to flag a client by clicking on his job post, and using the "Flag as inappropriate" option. You could also report this client to our support team, and include screengrabs of your conversations with your client so that the team can review and take actions if necessary. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 11.04.41 AM.png

~ Avery
Upwork

The drop-down menu for "flag as inappropriate" is not adequate. Why does Upwork persist with this? "Spam and fraud" is much too vague. UW should at least have scam and academic cheating as well.

Hi Richard and Nichola,

When a job is flagged all of it's aspects as well as the client's account are reviewed by the team to make sure there are no violations regardless of what reason for flagging the reported selected. Sometimes there is no evidence of violation in the job post, invitation or messages. Then it's better to report a job via a ticket and attach relevant screenshots of a Skype chat or email as an evidence. 

When a job is removed by Upwork, connects used to apply for it are returned. If that doesn't happen automatically for any reason, sometimes the team would return connects manually.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria , I do not think this reply should be directed at me.

I am well aware that, if one applies for a job, and it is removed by Upwork (for whatever reason),  connects get returned. Richard T has implied that connects are awarded as rewards. Is this true or not?

No, Nichola, we don't award extra connects as a reward for reporting jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

There is a "flag as inappropriate option" for such post... although as pointed out it is kind of vague.

But you can always just call upwork, explain whats going on, and they will address it. That's what I do.

And sometimes, not all the time, they give you free connects as a "Thank you" for reporting such things. Although they probably didnt want me to say that out loud...lol

@Richard T wrote:

There is a "flag as inappropriate option" for such post... although as pointed out it is kind of vague.

But you can always just call upwork, explain whats going on, and they will address it. That's what I do.

And sometimes, not all the time, they give you free connects as a "Thank you" for reporting such things. Although they probably didnt want me to say that out loud...lol

There are many freelancers who cannot "just call Upwork and explain". (Calling is limited to certain freelancers only). Certainly they can contact CS and report the job, but this takes time, in every respect.

Richard your suggesting that you get free connects if you report jobs of this sort must be a figment of your imagination. I have never, ever been offered free connects for reporting scammy "clients". If you have benefited from this, then I think you should remain quiet about it. Actually, Upwork, I would like an explanation - this seems to be unacceptable favoritism. Anyway, if it is true, you owe me a wagonload of connects.

Lol, indeed . . .

If a contractor applies to a job, and that job is removed by Upwork because it was inappropriate (for a variety of reasons, including being a scam job), then connects used to apply to the job are automatically credited back to the contractor's account.

This has happened to me.

I think this is what Richard may have been seeing. It's not a form of "favoritism." It is an automated system and it has been explained repeatedly in connection with the Connects system.

Learning Paths