Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Show earnings total on profile buf not on individual jobs

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
1 of 12

I'd like to show my earnings to the public in order to benefit from the new search criteria, and to let other clients know that I am doing well financially - but I do not want to display the amount earned for each job. 

Essentially, I do not want a client to reach out and say, oh look here's a job similar to the one that I want and you charged another client less money for this. 

I know that I can always explain to the client that scope may be different and several factors play a role in determining the quotation, however it'll be really great to have this facility on our profile so we don't have to go through all this. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

Hi Wassim,

I'll share your feedback with our team but as far as I'm aware we don't have plans to change the way freelancers' earnings are displayed on their profile.

Untitled

View solution in original post

creativedigit
Community Guru
3 of 12

Hi Vladimir, 

Thanks for letting me know. I think passing the feedback for future consideration is fair enough, and I hope this gives Upwork a clue about potential reasons to why some people are currently hiding their profiles' earnings. I am sure that I'm not the only one with this concern. 

Many thanks again!

Best regards, 

Wassim

scokeing
Carlo C Member Since: Jun 18, 2017
4 of 12

HI Vladimir,

I can't seem to find on how i can get hold of somebody from Upwork. I have a concern:

I was wondering why the first job i did only reflects an earning of 85$ when I worked for it for 12hrs at 20$/hr

When i click on the first contracts i did and ended, the amount is total amount is 246.67$.

But when i go to my profile and see the job i did, i can only see 85$ earnings for a 12hr-job at 20$/hr.

Can anybody explain why it's reflecting like that?

Regards,

Carlo

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 12

Wassim, you seem to be unaware of the fact that once you apply for a contract, the client CAN see all your contracts and what was paid on them anyway, even if you set the profile to not show your earnings. That has always been the case, since the "hide your earnings" thing came in.

And your earnings show on the client side as well, so if someone wants to know what you made on a contract that info is just two clicks away unless it was a private job.

creativedigit
Community Guru
6 of 12

Many thanks, Petra, for this invaluable information!

I knew that clients can see the total amount earned for profiles when we apply to their jobs even with hidden profile earnings, but I had no idea that they can also see the earnings made on individual jobs.

From your personal experience as someone successful in the marketplace, do you agree that hiding individual job earnings is a good optional addition like I think it is? or there's something more to it that I can't understand myself because I've decided to make my profile's earnings private?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 12

@Wassim T wrote:

From your personal experience as someone successful in the marketplace, do you agree that hiding individual job earnings is a good optional additional like I think it is? or there's something more to it that I can't understand myself because I've decided to make my profile's earnings private?

Personally I believe hiding your earnings is a bad idea, and directly contributes to less job invites, but that is just my personal opinion.

For what it is worth, I have never had a client question the price I quoted referring to what I charged previously. It has simply never happened, so for me this is not a concern.

creativedigit
Community Guru
8 of 12

Awesome! Thanks for your response, Petra.

I'm going to think it over in the next few days and will consider showing my earnings. Maybe better yet, marking the earnings as public for a short period (4-6 weeks) and see if there's any difference and making a decision accordingly.

Have a wonderful day.

This widget could not be displayed.
9 of 12
This widget could not be displayed.

@Wassim T wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for your response, Petra.

I'm going to think it over in the next few days and will consider showing my earnings. Maybe better yet, marking the earnings as public for a short period (4-6 weeks) and see if there's any difference and making a decision accordingly.

Have a wonderful day.

It was different over the last weeks (please see my older post) but now it has changed. As soon as a client applies the earnings filter and searches with any filter besides "any earnings" freelancers who hide their earnings are not shown in search results anymore. Upwork has announced this in the past and therefore I have quit my paid membership and decided to show my earnings even I do not like that feature. You can test this from your client account.

I cannot observe any improvement in the quality of invites since I show my earnings but have observed an increase of scammer invites instead.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 12

@Petra R wrote:

Personally I believe hiding your earnings is a bad idea, and directly contributes to less job invites, but that is just my personal opinion.

I believe that on a platform where almost everybody shows their earnings, hiding them is probably off-putting. If the earnings were in majority invisible from profiles, the situation would perhaps be different.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS