🐈 Community
aleksandrhovh

Suggestion: allow freelancers to display a particular client review above all others.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what you all think of us having the option to select a single client review to display above all others in our profile. This feedback wouldn't be highlighted or treated in any special way in terms of formatting—it would just always appear above the rest.

For example, I recently got a rave review from an ongoing client who was so pleased with my work that he practically wrote an essay recommendation. That's a pretty rare occurence in my experience—few clients put in that amount of effort to commend your work, but when they do, it feels great. And it's even better for business when prospective clients visit your profile and see it prominently displayed as the first review (because if they're busy, they likely won't read too much beyond the first few).

So as I continue to work with new clients, their reviews are going to push this one gem farther down in my profile. And that's fine in a sense, I guess—if you're a good freelancer, then you'll continue to receive good reviews, so it shouldn't really "matter." But my rationale here is that not all good reviews are equally well written or crafted with the same amount of appreciation.

The first concern I imagine people will raise is that this would be easy to abuse, but I don't think so—if you're a subpar freelancer, for example, then displaying one good review won't somehow eclipse your JSS, other metrics, or negative reviews. And by limiting it to just one "highlighted" review, you'd prevent people from hiding negative reviews way down the list.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I'm not sure if there's a more official channel for making suggestions, so if there is, do let me know.

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter

re: "I'm not sure if there's a more official channel for making suggestions, so if there is, do let me know."

This Forum is the correct place for making suggestions such as this.

Actually, that's an awesome idea.  I cut and pasted from a couple of reviews into my profile but your idea is terrific.

Why would Upwork allow freelancers to manipulate their job history in this way? You can already quote your best review in your overview and/or proposals. Those are the places for self-promotion. The job history is supposed to provide independent evidence for the client's benefit.

That said, Upwork already allows freelancers to manipulate their job history using the top-rated perk and by giving a full refund. So why not allow another form of manipulation?

P.S. Having a separate section, as Rene suggests, is a different matter. In that case it would probably be clear that the reviews were self-selected by the freelancer.

@Richard W wrote:

P.S. Having a separate section, as Rene suggests, is a different matter. In that case it would probably be clear that the reviews were self-selected by the freelancer.

Yeah, I think he's proposed a good alternative. That way, freelancers are able to highlight a few reviews they're proud of, but clients are still aware that these reviews were hand-picked by the freelancer.

versailles

This is an interesting idea. There could be a separate section under the overview section, displaying three feedbacks, chosen by the freelancer among his or her feedback that is listed just below.

But then, the Skills section could be put back on the top where it was before someone stupidly decided to bury it somewhere down, for some totally weird reason.

Oh well...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

But then, the Skills section could be put back on the top where it was before someone stupidly decided to bury it somewhere down, for some totally weird reason.

Yeah, it's stupid 😄 They could easily fit the skills in at the top as a small expandable banner between your name and title. Currently, that part's just whitespace.

@Aleksandr H wrote:

Yeah, it's stupid 😄 They could easily fit the skills in at the top as a small expandable banner between your name and title. Currently, that part's just whitespace.

They used to be on the top. Not even expendable, they were expended. Then, someone at Upowork came with the stupid idea to hide them for reasons unknown.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Absolutely great idea. When we install an app from google play store, in the review section we can see the highlights of some good and bad reviews. To read all the reviews, we need to click a button. And among those highlighted reviews we can easily decide whether it is a good or bad app. If upwork do that, then it will be a great privilege for freelancers.

Learning Paths