🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suggestion for client guide...
Page options
dyumnin
Community Member

Suggestion for client guide...

Today a client said "Guide me on how to award the contract" So I took a look at the client guide at https://content-static.upwork.com/blog/uploads/sites/3/2017/06/09122627/client-guide-to-upwork.pdf

I was surprised to notice that there was no guidance on setting the budget and experience level for a project.
If upwork adds a chapter on this topic, it will help avoid seeing job posts offering $5 for a Months of an experts time.
For e.g.

Selecting Freelancer Expertise

Selecting freelancers is a tradeoff between experience, domain knowledge, execution speed and price.

ExperienceExpectation from FreelancerExpectation from Client
Entry LevelHas little or no experience, knows basics of tools and techniques, requires daily guidance on tasksNeeds to be an expert in the field, Needs to be able to do a detailed technical design and architecture and then guide the freelancer in his daily tasks.
IntermediateHas worked on a few projects, If given detailed technical design, can execute independently once given the technical details of the task. Requires guidance on a weekly basisNeeds to have technical knowledge. Should be able to do the toplevel technical design identify weekly milestones, write the technical requirements for the milestone and guide the freelancer on a weekly basis
ExpertHas worked in the field for decades, can take a 10k ft overview of the requirement and independently do the architecture, scheduling and design and execute the projectLittle or no experience in the field, Or experienced but no time for daily supervision or technical reviews

Note: You can Hire an Expert on hourly basis to guide your basic and intermediate level freelancer and conduct technical reviews.

Setting Budget

1. Estimate the number of hours for a task
  2. Multiply it by 3 to get the actual hours required
  3. Multiply the actuals hours with the hourly rate of basic/intermediate/expert freelancers in your domain.

Note: You can hire an expert freelancer for a few hours/days to do the scheduling and budgeting for your project

1 REPLY 1
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vijayvithal,

Thanks for sharing your suggestion with us. I already shared your feedback with our team for review.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members