🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suggestion if client asking refund
Page options
peter_shalen
Community Member

Suggestion if client asking refund

Hello community member,
One of my client named **Edited for Community Guidelines** asked for an animation explainer video and shared a link. Upon checking, I told them that this is a custom video and won't be possible in this budget. so they told me to proceed with what type of animation I can use. After sending the first full draft, they weren't happy with the animation characters though happy with the storytelling. Then they sent me a file of the characters they have to use in the video but it was not possible to use them as I was using different software. As I'm a client-oriented and believe in client satisfaction, I switched it to the custom software and prepare a short sample of 30 seconds. They again rejected it and told me that they aren't happy with it.
Now the thing is that the full payment has been already released to during the first video and now they are asking for a full refund and even given feedback (which will be terrible, I'm sure)

Can you guys suggest to me what can I do now?
(Client is nice though their expectations were more then their budget)

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

No matter what: be polite. Communicate in a professional manner.

But that doesn't mean you should give the client a refund.

It is inappropriate, unprofessional, unethical and immoral for this client to ask you for a refund.

Refund thinking hurts clients. Do you want to hurt this client? Probably not.

You said that all the money has already been released?
There is no more money in escrow?
Has the contract been closed already?

The contact is not ended yet as client has released payment earlier in full
instead of the partial payment. Though, I have already delivered the full
video few days ago.

If the contract has not yet ended, then it is possible for the client to leave you feedback.

How much money in total has the client paid you as part of this contract?

But do I deserve this feedback (which will be nagetive surely)
It’s $600

Do you deserve negative feedback?

If the client leaves (or threatens to leave) negative feedback because she is trying to get the work for free, then that is feedback manipulation. Of course that is wrong, and that is a violation of Upwork TOS.

But even though something is wrong and immoral, it may still be possible for a client to use the Upwork user interface to do it.

You can not report a client for feedback manipulation if she has not actually said anything about that yet. At this point, you are only speculating that the client will leave feedback if you don't issue a refund.

One thing to remember is that we work for money, not for stars.

$600 is a lot of money. You worked for it. You deserve to be paid for your work.

If it was me, I would not want to do any more work for this client. I believe the client is acting irrationally. I believe that the client is trying to steal money from the freelancer.

If it was me personally, I would keep in mind that I have two goals: maximize my earnings from this project, and minimize and negative impact done to JSS.

I don't have all knowledge of this situation and I definitely have not heard the client's side of things. Based on what I have read in the thread, here is what I would do:

Send a message to the client:

"There are two separate questions to be answered. The first question is if you want me to do additional work on the project. If you want me to do more work on the project, then you can tell me what you would like done. Then I will tell you what the cost would be, and you can fund a new escrow payment for that work. If I do not hear from you within 24 hours, I will assume that you require no further work from me, and I will close the contract. The other question is about a refund. I can issue a refund to you, but that will need to be done after the contract is closed."

Then:

If the client wants more work, she will need to to pay you the money you ask for. Which might be a lot.

If the client wants a refund, she needs to let the contract be closed. And she needs to leave feedback before you will do anything. If she wants money, she should understand that she is not going to get refund money from you voluntarily if she is abusive.

If she is nice, and respectful, and honest, including in the way that she leaves feedback, then you SHOULD give her an appropriate refund, in an amount of your choosing. You are the freelancer who did this work and you are the only person who can decide what an appropriate refund amount is. Is it 5%? More? Less? That is for you to decide.

Ramandeep,

If you did the work as agreed you should be paid in full for the amount agreed.

If the feedback from the client is negative, you can respnd to their feedback. Keep your comments short, factual and professional.

And mention that the client offered better feedback if you refunded money to them. Future freelancers considering working for this client might be interested in that.

Good luck!

Will L wrote:

And mention that the client offered better feedback if you refunded money to them.

Did the client offer anything of the sort?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members