cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for “Offline” Time Tracker Tool to Use for Estimating Bids and Personal Projects

Highlighted
Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
1 of 9

I would like to find a Time Tracker Tool that I could use, on my computer without having to go online.

IT would be used to estimate how long a project should take for both Bidding Purposes, as well as being able to use it for my personal projects, so I can see how long it takes to perform a task.

I like the Upwork Time Tracker, click on and click off, instead of having to manually type the time in and time out. Snapshots are not important for what I want; however, I would like to be able to record what I am doing, for instance: typing and reconciling my bank and credit card statements, or sample work for bidding purposes on Upwork, or even for how long I am online job searching.

Currently, I am using an Excel spreadsheet, but would rather have a Time Tracking Tool

Does anyone have any suggestions, besides the spreadsheet method?

Mind you, I do not want to use an Online Time Tracking Tool, as it would be for my personal use only.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 9

There are LOTS of time tracking tools out there.  I personally use Klok  - http://www.getklok.com

Been happy with Klock for more then 2 years. There are both free and paid versions, and I use the paid version because I like having "in the cloud" functions.

I have tried other tools off and on over the years, and still use Klock. I admit I am a little bias towards it because the interface has a black theme option, which I dig in a huge way.

I'm sure other folks here can give you some other nifty recomendations Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 9

Pandora

"Been happy with Klock for more then 2 years. There are both free and paid versions, and I use the paid version because I like having "in the cloud" functions."

Have you tried the free version, and if so, were you happy with it? I realize the paid version has more features, but for now, I'm just interested in the basics.

Highlighted
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
4 of 9

@Linda P wrote:

Pandora

"Been happy with Klock for more then 2 years. There are both free and paid versions, and I use the paid version because I like having "in the cloud" functions."

Have you tried the free version, and if so, were you happy with it? I realize the paid version has more features, but for now, I'm just interested in the basics.

Linda,

When I first got the free version, there was no cloud function. After about a year, they announced that function, and I switched. 

I don't recall what else I got with the paid at that point, but I used the free version for an entire year without a beef, and had no problems. I  also looked at the comarison page today, and frankly, I could probably do what I need with the free version at this point. II'm only running it on one computer at this time, I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use for invoices, and mostly what I do with Klok is record my work time into different projects (work and personal), and then organize my client invoice via copy / paste once a week.

If you haven't already seen this comparision page, do check it out:

http://getklok.com/features.html#versions

My suggestion would be do download it, try it for a day or 3, and if you don't like it, no worries. If you like, you can send me a PM and I will reply with a screen shot of my copy. You could then compare the "paid" dashboard agaisnt the "free" dashboard.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 9

Pandora, Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try and let you know what I think.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 9

Pandora,

I have downloaded and installed the Free Version of Klok.

Took me a short time to figure out how it worked.

I like the background color too. With the background being dark, it makes it easier on the eyes.

I may upgrade later, but for now I am satisifed, as it is just what I was looking for.

Again, thank you for your suggestion, double Kudos.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
7 of 9

@Pandora H wrote:

There are LOTS of time tracking tools out there.  I personally use Klok  - http://www.getklok.com

Been happy with Klock for more then 2 years. There are both free and paid versions, and I use the paid version because I like having "in the cloud" functions.

I have tried other tools off and on over the years, and still use Klock. I admit I am a little bias towards it because the interface has a black theme option, which I dig in a huge way.

I'm sure other folks here can give you some other nifty recomendations Smiley Happy

Out of curiosity, I decided to check this service out. I had been thinking about getting a website built so that I could market my services off the Upwork (and other) platforms, but hadn't figured out what I would do if I came across a client that insisted on hourly work.

After reading this, it sounds like an excellent service! The fact that you can add an extension of the service to your Basecamp account (which I had been considering trying out lol), as well as other programs like FreshBooks really makes it enticings.  

Then I noticed the mobile app.

Lol, with that, even my husband could benefit from using it, since for his "brick and mortar" job, he has to manually log his hours instead of punching in a time clock. 

I'll definitely look at this one more closely, but I do have a question, Pandora.

You said you use the paid version. Do you pay monthly? Annually? One time?

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 9

@Dawn L wrote:

<snip>

I'll definitely look at this one more closely, but I do have a question, Pandora.

You said you use the paid version. Do you pay monthly? Annually? One time?

Dawn, I paid a one time fee, as far as I know. When you pay, you get a license key. Being the organized person that I am, I recorded it, Now, if I have to re-install, I have that key handy.   I've had to do this maybe 3 times, and never a problem. For sure, more then 2 years have gone by, and I haven't lost my "paid" version.

I just checked their site, and oddly, they don't say (at least not anywhere i could find) anything about the length of the license. So I'd have to guess it's a one time thing, until they decide to change that.

In addition, here is another thing about the app I should have mentioned before. The software does not get updated super often, but there updates every few months. What they do not do, and boy am I glad, is spam you to death with emails about their service, etc.

I also like that the CPU/Memory footprint is minimal..unlike the Upwork Team App.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
9 of 9

Thanks, Pandora!

Yeah, I tried searching to see how long the license was for as well, and couldn't find anything either. That's why I figured I would ask you about it, since you said you used it for a few years.

I'll definitely talk to my husband about this later tonight. It's something for me to consider once I get a website up and running (which at this rate, will be a little while lol), but it definitely sounds like something he could use now to log his hours from job site to job site, especially when he's on call. Heck of a lot better than carrying around that stinking notebook that he's been using for the last 3 years to write down his hours and such. Lol.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS