Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for Upwork policy on feedback and JSS

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 30

If someone disappears, I just close the contract.

I don't struggle at all cuz I don't care.

eta: actually, I do care sometimes cuz when they disappear and it's been a rocky relationship I get to ninja close it with no bad feedback so I win.

rxqm
Ace Contributor
Xiaoqing Claire R Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
12 of 30

@Jennifer M wrote:

If someone disappears, I just close the contract.

I don't struggle at all cuz I don't care.

eta: actually, I do care sometimes cuz when they disappear and it's been a rocky relationship I get to ninja close it with no bad feedback so I win.

I agree, you shouldn't care, because you have so many jobs, a few bad apples or "no apples" don't affect how great you are; and ninja-closing bad contract is great too. But it comes back to what I said before, some freelancers' specialties determine that they have just a handful large contracts, one inactive or no-feedback contract can count a lot, especially when it's been a great relationship with a lot of money spent, and the client just simply forget and/or don't use Upwork any more, it'll be a big loss to turn a potentially great-feedback contract into a not-so-great- or no-feedback one.

lysis10
Community Guru
13 of 30

@Xiaoqing Claire R wrote:

I agree, you shouldn't care, because you have so many jobs, a few bad apples or "no apples" don't affect how great you are; and ninja-closing bad contract is great too. But it comes back to what I said before, some freelancers' specialties determine that they have just a handful large contracts, one inactive or no-feedback contract can count a lot, especially when it's been a great relationship with a lot of money spent, and the client just simply forget and/or don't use Upwork any more, it'll be a big loss to turn a potentially great-feedback contract into a not-so-great- or no-feedback one.

ok, I can appreciate that. So why don't you ask one of them to close and reopen. Everyone won't do it but someone will.

I like to have longterm contracts though cuz I believe it holds me up when I get bad feedback.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
14 of 30

@Petra R wrote:

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

It's such a struggle to get them to close it / leave feedback.

Oh come on now. "Such a struggle" is like calling a molehill "Mount Everest." It is NOT "such a struggle" and takes seconds to close and eventually rehire. 

It's such a struggle for ME to get them to CLOSE it - I know very well that they just need to perform a couple of clicks to close and rehire (and often send them the links to the relevant help guides). But that doesn't matter to many of them; it's unecessary hassle in their view and so it is a struggle for me to convince them to close it. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 30

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

This issue has been brought up many times but unfortunately your suggestions will fall on deaf ears because this isn't a concern for Upwork as it doesn't affect them.

Actually, it does affect them.

Abandoned contracts affect Upwork's operations.

Mass failure to leave feedback affects Upwork's ability to recommend freelancers that will give clients a positive experience.

Closing contracts and leaving feedback both have a clear and direct impact on Upwork's business, and thus Upwork encourages the behavior that makes it's operations more efficient and less expensives and improves its ability to rate freelancers.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
16 of 30

Xiaoqing, I agree with you when you indicate that, for a number of clients, exactly what JSS means is presented in a convoluted at best and, at worst, in a misleading fashion.  

I also feel that clients should not have to bother digging thru reams of info to figure out what JSS means and if/how it could/impact their choice of a provider.

However, Upwork is not going to change their approach.  Perhaps a few words explaining what JSS really means should be included on RFP forms. As a client, do you think that might help?

rxqm
Ace Contributor
17 of 30

@Wendy C wrote:

Xiaoqing, I agree with you when you indicate that, for a number of clients, exactly what JSS means is presented in a convoluted at best and, at worst, in a misleading fashion.  

I also feel that clients should not have to bother digging thru reams of info to figure out what JSS means and if/how it could/impact their choice of a provider.

However, Upwork is not going to change their approach.  Perhaps a few words explaining what JSS really means should be included on RFP forms. As a client, do you think that might help?

Hi Wendy. Yes it would definitely help. But I'm not sure you mean users or Upwork explaining JSS. If users, I'm not sure if Upwork will give us trouble if we "misrepresent" the meaning of JSS they want public to believe. If Upwork, I hope they separate freelancers' ability to optimize Upwork's business operation from JSS. 

lysis10
Community Guru
18 of 30

do you really explain it? I don't say anything about jss. who cares unless someone asks

do people ask you? Is yours low or something?

rxqm
Ace Contributor
19 of 30

@Jennifer M wrote:

do you really explain it? I don't say anything about jss. who cares unless someone asks

do people ask you? Is yours low or something?

I'm a client and a freelancer. As a freelancer it's not a huge deal to me in particular, because I'm top-rated and got enough work as of right now. A lot of times I don't think my clients care either, because I'm probably the only one they can find for the job. What bothers me the most is the unfairness of JSS, i.e. mislead us to believe it's all about clients' interest but sneak in Upwork's business interest.

As a client, I'm worried the problematic JSS causes us to underestimate freelancers' proficiency. Our team was once considering a freelancer with 72% JSS. Three of our team members said ditch him because his JSS sucks, another guy and I was like well all his reviews say he's great, why don't we hire him for 5 hours and fire him if he really sucks. And it turned out he was truly great - as we get to know each other we found out he's been a great freelancer for a long time, doesn't use Upwork much, has a couple very old contracts being idle before JSS was implemented, has a few contracts without feedback because clients ran out of money and couldn't pay him to finish the product. When he works with clients directly outside of Upwork, there is no official action like ending a contract or leaving a feedback somewhere, so he doesn't see the need to solicit feedback or request ending a contract on Upwork. He probably gets penalized on JSS unfairly because of inactive and no-feedback contracts. We don't want to miss freelancers like this just because they don't optimize Upwork's business operation. Upwork's JSS policy is like saying this lady you are dating is not a good mom because doesn't she want to go home with you tonight.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 30

@Xiaoqing Claire R wrote:
@Jennifer M wrote:

So why don't you ask one of them to close and reopen.

well when they disappear, they won't do anything you ask them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Since she said "and reopen," it was pretty obvious that she was talking about ongoing contracts, which by definition do not involve clients who have disappeared.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS