cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for job application process improvements: terminology, milestones, terms & conditions

Highlighted
Dee D Member Since: Jul 2, 2015
1 of 6

I'm glad that Upwork uses terminology such as "client" and "freelancer" to describe the working relationship between users of the site. However, this terminology is utterly inconsistent when it comes to the first point of contact, the "job application" process. In my eyes, employees apply for jobs; freelancers bid on projects or submit proposals. This is an important distinction, at least for me, as it can set the tone and expectations of the client going forward. Since Upwork is integrating a lot of improvements from Elance, hopefully this terminology change can be one of them.

It'd also be great to integrate some of the other parts of the Elance bidding process, such as proposing milestones, and also to state terms & conditions at that stage as well. These could be taken direct from the freelancer's profile or could be stipulated/edited upon proposal submission.

Would others also find these changes useful?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 6

Thank you for your suggestions, Dee! Your observation about the term "aplication" is very interesting and actually this is something we are revising currently.

We appreciate your input.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Leslie M Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
3 of 6

I am a long time elance freelancer. Yesterday I got my first invite from upwork from **edited for Community Guidelines**. I responded and had the client agree to my proposal and send me all the specific information about the job and ask me to have the job ready for her by today (less than 24 hours from contract). So I stopped everything I was doing to begin working on her job. Two hours later when I went back to deliver it, I found a message saying she "had decided to go in a different direction." We had already clearly agreed on cost, time and content.

I caution all freelancers against this kind of "client" and know that I will never again spend a minute working for anyone on this site without getting a full contract in place and visilbe by the Upwork network. Is the client the only one who can originate the job milestones? I could not find it. Here is a visual of my conversation with this client. She definitely contracted this job! This has not given me a positive impression of this network. Times on this are all wrong. This all happened between 11am and 5pm.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 6

Hi Leslie,

I am sorry to hear your business relationship with this client didn't turn out well. Please, do not start working until the client sends you an offer and you accept it. You will then be able to see the active contract in My Jobs tab. Additionally, if it's a fixed-price contract, we recomend you do not start working on a task until the money for it is fully funded in Escrow.

Also, note that it's against our Community Guidelines to post content of private communication.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Leslie M Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
5 of 6

I hope it is "your policy" to banish or at least admonish clients who treat the freelancers this way. My publishing their job and their names is the only recourse we exploited freelancers have on this site. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
6 of 6

Actually you weren't exploited in this case. You jumped the gun; the client hadn't hired you. There was no contract for them to break. It's unfortunate, but not really the client's fault.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS