🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suggestions to prevent scams
Page options
00aef8a2
Community Member

Suggestions to prevent scams

I recently joined upwork but have been keeping a eye on this website since i was a teenager back then i didnt understand how it works here and recently signed up. 

Back then upwork was a great place to earn and work on great projects  and had a lot of work available but now mostly are scammers out here trying to take advantage if upwork. I believe this discourages joining the website plus current upwork freelancers bidding on projects. I do thought about it a bit and i think if upwork can step in there are soo many numerous ways to prevent scammers from entering as it hurts the quality of the website and sometimes from personal experience i can say i become mentally exhausted because for instance after bidding on a project if i am not upto standars and if my client declines me im fine im fine with it but from the day i started to now almost 97% projects i bid on was scammers. 

I have a few suggestions:

Firstly, once i came across a website where they filter out typing any contact numbers or any name of a social media site for both the parties, it was actually a retail website so buyers and sellers werent allowed to type any social media site Or any contact numbers preventing communication outside of the platform for both parties safety and the platform was programmed to do this. This helped long term survival of the website.

secondarily, if all clients and freelancers are asked to upload a live photo of them with holding of their government issued id just like in Wish this could prevent scammers. But this should be a live photo taken on spot  while on the website because otherwise scammers can use other peoples pictures. 

Also i believe there are many options upwork can use to prevent this situations because i believe as time passess by higher the chances of more scammers coming into the webaite and good clients get unnoticed while freelancers get fed up of scammers this would hurt upwork reputation.

although flagging as inappropriate is available its much more convient if there is a proper procedure from the moment a client logs in to upload a job post.

Thank you !! 

1 REPLY 1
759e32fa

Hi Imasha,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts, and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety. Additionally, I assure you that we'll continue sharing users' feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about the team's initiatives. Feel free to check an update in this post for more information about the team's efforts around addressing these issues.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members