cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey (18%fee/Help us make Upwork Better)

Ace Contributor
Cesar G Member Since: Feb 11, 2015
91 of 174

That's tricky John, because you can't ensure they do as you say either.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
92 of 174

@Cesar G wrote:

That's tricky John, because you can't ensure they do as you say either.

Cesar,

Well, no, we can't be sure. On the other hand, complaints about basic site functions

• not working for years
  • being reskinned and rebranded rather than being fixed
  • being "upgraded" to worse implementations

are longstanding on Elance and apparently on Upwork. From providers' experience with both platforms, it is common to infer misplaced investment priorities on the part of management. It is an inference both easy and reasonable.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
93 of 174

I was about to make points along the same line. It is not good to spout statistics without numbers. How much resources does Upwork spend on working out conflicts or disputes? What would be considered average CS effort for a company this size?

I think many persons are forgetting the numbers game, and the law of averages. Sure larger long term contracts generate more money, however they are fewer in number. The fact is that there are perhaps 50:1 short:long small:large contracts here. Do the math. The only way a point like this would work, is if by getting rid of small short term contracts, this creates more large long term contracts out of thin air to replace those lost - the platform would not make any more money.

So if it can be proven that these short term contracts are taking up "space" (I don't know how) for more long term large contracts, then get rid of them. More money for everyone. Otherwise it is just more taxation on freelancers earning less.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
94 of 174

@John K wrote:

You can say that, alright, but how do you know Upwork doesn't spend most of its resources rebranding itself, redesigning the site, and fixing new features that don't work properly and in some cases aren't fixed for months? Take Upwork timetracker, for instance. I'm still using the old oDesk team app instead.

John,

I am using Odesk team app as well. The last version as I have seen way to many problems with the new one posted in the forum. Besides if they want me to use the new one one they can prompt me to update my old one but I am not going through the trouble to go download the new one to have the issues I keep seeing.

Ace Contributor
Faheem K Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
95 of 174

Yes - you should really stand for those changes looks like you were notified when Odesk was turning to Upwork so your work diary hours and frustration part didn't hit your mind's peace.

Also you may be using some other Message Box of Upwork(only designed for you maybe) during the previous month so your clients communication was working fine . You didn't lose the job , money  or client and had not to pay back anything during this course.

We are keep complaining that things have to be fixed first . But Their concentration is mainly focusing the revenue generation and asking more .  

Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
96 of 174

I think there's a solid chance that Jean's hit the nail on the head re: Upwork Enterprise.

If Upwork can turn Upwork Enterprise into a profitable solution for the company freelancers, and clients by making it an exclusive zone where the clients are worthwhile and the freelancers are actually talented, then - in theory - Upwork can get away with percentage hikes on low-money contracts.

The plan, presumably, is that the percentage hike kills off the people who lose Upwork money - the low-rate workers, the hacks, the farmers, etc. - people whose income to Upwork is offset by the management and customer services costs they incur. But by making Upwork Enterprise a dream zone for freelancers - one where workers are pretty much guaranteed contracts and pay back lower percentage point - the plan is that talented, useful contractors will stick around on the main site, forking out higher percentages to Upwork and dealing with the general awfulness while they try to claw their way toward an Enterprise invitation.

Upwork now recoups a higher yield off these remaining workers, deals with fewer complaints (since the remaining workers are presumably working harder for the Enterprise invitation, and the problem workers have left), and develops a talent pool for Enterprise, where the quality of worker ensures profitability for Upwork anyways.

There are three big problems with this gamble:

1) The Top Rated program and Job Success scores are clearly going to play a part in Enterprise invitations. There are more than enough examples on this forum about how many problems these two features have created. If Freelancers feel like Enterprise invitations are something of a crapshoot, or a system where legitimate hard work is often left unrewarded, they might say, "Screw this," faster than Upwork is banking on.

2) The site has been in a much-discussed nosedive for a while. There is a very real chance that Upwork will manage going to kill off any base they have before they ever get around to implementing these new changes.

3) Freelancers might well decide that the percentage hike isn't worth their shot at Upwork's new golden city.

There's also the issue that Jean, myself, and others are reading too far into this, and things are supposed to stay pretty much the same, and this is all just a simple attempt to fixed a cost-to-revenue problem on small-money contracts that Upwork truly believes won't cause an exodus of talent.

Anywho, fun times.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
97 of 174

I"ve never even heard of Upwork Enterprise.

What is it and is it something anyone can join?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
98 of 174

@David G wrote:

I"ve never even heard of Upwork Enterprise.

What is it and is it something anyone can join?

http://ptc.elance.com/

You must be invited. Invitation only. I saw this some time ago and many freelancers have already been invited through the different pro groups.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
99 of 174

Only seeing this thread now!! I hope this is a late April Fool's joke! 18% is definitely enough to push me away from this site, which I've relied on for a year now!

Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
100 of 174

It's a large enough fee to be almost funny, yeah. Almost a fifth of what I make on a job? No. Stop being silly upwork, of course you can't have that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS