cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey (18%fee/Help us make Upwork Better)

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
171 of 174

"BUT I CLEARLY DID THE SURVEY WITH 28% (TWENTY EIGHT). Swear to God, no lying!"

You weren't seeing things. 28 % has  been mooted. Many freelancers have been asked about this one - **edited for Community Guidelines**

I don't know who would go for 28% - but if this was enforced, then I reckon everyone in the writing and translation sectors would quit. I would not be able to do it. I already pay nearly 25% in tax (French law) on every job I do. So a hike of this sort would be impossible for me to continue on this sort of job platform. I have found that a little intensive, personal marketing (nothing to do with Upwork or Elance)  has landed me two very well paid gigs - temporary admittedly - but at least for the next three months, I can breathe easy, and there is no JS threat hanging over me.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
172 of 174

"I don't know who would go for 28% - but if this was enforced, then I reckon everyone in the writing and translation sectors would quit."

I certainly would. Between that sort of gouging and German tax it simply wouldn't be worth bothering. Considering the service and features we get here I think 10% is already quite high enough, thanks very much.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Ace Contributor
Jennifer S Member Since: Dec 16, 2014
173 of 174

I agree. Seeing as three clients contacted me this morning about a failed message system on an alternative contact...I think 10% is pushing it.

K.K. H Member Since: Aug 4, 2015
174 of 174
OK, I didn't slog through the whole thread but I get the gist that Upwork is mooting various changes to the payment structure based on length of client+contractor relationship. Why not just base it on contractor earnings across the board instead of per client? If someone does a lot of small work and thus generates $$$ does it cost Upwork so much more to run the job listing/application process for them? Just charge people x% for the first $x earned by them, then y% for the next $y, and 7.5% for people above some high-earning threshold. Upwork gets to make money, everyone else gets to make money, what's the problem?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS