cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey (18%fee/Help us make Upwork Better)

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
31 of 174

@Stephen B wrote:

I wish had been chosen to be one of the Stepford freelancers who have been so effusive all week about how perfect this place is....because I'd love to think it was like that. But no, it's just getting weirder by the day.

But Stephen, you said you could transform those horses in your backyard into unicorns!

That makes you very special in my book.

Didn't you get an email invitation to the new (not so) happy (anymore) forum???

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
32 of 174
"Stepford freelancers" the most perfect description of those guys! :'D
Viet M Member Since: Jun 25, 2015
33 of 174

I'm completely new guy. When I read this topic my feeling is so sad. Because I just step forward Upwork one-step.

But now it has many problem recently. what site I should choose after all, I think I need some advices. 

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
34 of 174

Yeah, I also took the survey a couple of hours ago and it seems then like they have sent out different fees structures to different contractors for comparison. Mine had the lowest rate as 7% when you earn over $10000 from a single client and the highest fee rate, which is when you earn your first $100 from one client, was 22%. In between there is a 10% rate, The whole thing is kind of doubling the fees all factors considered.

This would definitely change what the site was to the contractor. And while John you would choose to raise your hourly rate, I might wish to lower mine in order to lure the client into sticking with me for more jobs.

One of my concerns, though, is that I may be forced to accept lumpsum jobs from clients I would otherwise not have accepted - just to enjoy the lower rates. What I like doing currently is take on one job from a fresh client and see how compatible we are. From that experience then I can opt to accept more jobs or politely turn down any more jobs. I feel like my freedom of choice and flexibility would be drastically curtailed.

Ace Contributor
Paul M Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
35 of 174

I haven't received the survey, so can't be sure of the full details but, in my experience not just of oDesk/Upwork, but in most exercises of this nature, it's not a "survey", it's a "notification".

The rates will be going up, it's just a question of by how much?

Just so as I'm clear on the details, assuming (as in one example) $500 ends up as the starting rate, am I also correct in further assuming that a contract worth $1000 would be deducted at 18% of the first $500 and 10% of the second $500, thereby making total deductions $140 i.e 14%?

Add that to fees for withdrawing the money to my bank as it's an overseas transaction, plus taxes and other deductions and it's beginning to look like an increasingly unattractive arrangement.

If the powers at Upwork want to know how good a deal this actually is, ask the clients to fund the fees and then we'll see the queue round the block for the first train out of Dodge.

10% is already a significant fee, how do Upwork not see that?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
36 of 174

They must really be losing money since the name change to pull a stunt like this. Investors must be seeing numbers they don't like and this is the solution. 

I see it driving Freelancers and Clients away. Freelancers raise rates to adjust for the change and clients leave in droves as they can get things done cheaper elsewhere. 

Freelancers won't be making the same money and will leave in droves as they can get a better deal elsewhere.

I recently bought a program that checks job openings across 8 different sites. Craigslist, Fiver, Odesk, Elance, Freelancer etc and it looks like now it's going to come in handy. It's versitile, easy to use and will email me anytime a job opens in my category. Guess I'll be using it a lot now.

I'm so disappointed in Upwork. All the things that are wrong here just makes this so unattractive. Search for freelancers are useless with inappropriate users being shown, freelancers who can't find jobs through searches, clients that spam and cheat people, clients with no verified payment and then there is the Job Success score that punishes us for every little thing we do wrong and punishes us for things that are the clients fault. 

On top of that we have to pay for a membership to get enough connects to get apply to jobs and pay to withdraw our own money. They are beating us to death ...are they trying to drive most of us away?

I just don't get it.

Ace Contributor
Cesar G Member Since: Feb 11, 2015
37 of 174

Jean, it could be related to this idea: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/CamelsandRubberDuckies.html

Yet, maybe the plan is to discourage clients who want very cheap jobs and try to abuse the platform to get freelancers to work for pennies.

There were comments on Elance forum about low quality/low budget clients here at oDesk side. Well, this change would encourage serious clients to stay, and others to move.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
38 of 174

@Jean S wrote:

They must really be losing money since the name change to pull a stunt like this. Investors must be seeing numbers they don't like and this is the solution.

Jean,

Upwork has never made a profit. oDesk never made a profit. Elance has never made a profit. A good working assumption is that any and all policy and procedure changes are meant to bring Upwork into profitability, and that this has been the case from when the various entities were mere gleams in entrepreneurial and investment eyes.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
39 of 174
@ Jennifer

I would like to know who or what is a "farmer." I am not accustomed to this term as it is used.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
40 of 174

@Setu M wrote:
@ Jennifer

I would like to know who or what is a "farmer." I am not accustomed to this term as it is used.

Farmers are people who sell customers on content writing but then hire someone at Fiverr or some place cheap to write the content for cheap. Client is unhappy. While it seems like it wouldn't harm anyone else, if the client is new to places like this, they get burned and there's a good chance they will go elsewhere.

I have a farmer I regularly compete with. I had 3 of his clients this month come back to me and ask what I can do. They send me his content and it's awful. "Editing" it would be just rewriting it, so regular rates apply. The other difficult part is that these customers think they should get a discount since they've already paid money and got burned. Unfortunately, I can't do that for them. I won 1 of his jobs after his customer was unhappy, but the other two didn't want to swing the increased amount.

Nothing new in the writing world. Just frustrating sometimes.  They make great money though. Sometimes, it's tempting to join the darkside, but I'm too OCD about my work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS