cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey (18%fee/Help us make Upwork Better)

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
71 of 174

Suzanne I referred to it only in terms of whether it is profitable to Upwork or not. I did not express it as my personal opinion. $15 is minimum wage in some states of the US but I don't believe that even $20 an hour is in the range of profitability for UPWORK...I am not talking about people in general but whether or not it is profitable for the company.

Read again what I said.

I did not disparage anyone making that amount and it's an amount I made for many years on Upwork. I ONLY referred to it in terms of what the COMPANY may be thinking.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
72 of 174

Jean,

FYI there is no state that pays $15.00 per hour minimum wage. In fact the highest Minimum wage in the US is $9.50 an hour in Washington DC.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx#1

This was not the first time this week I have seen you comment to someone in regards to making $15 an hour and how it wasn't anything. I am sorry you do not think others are up to your snuff cause they make less money then you.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
73 of 174

Jean S speculated, "All those small jobs are costing them money. People with low rates cost them money."

If the intent is to eliminate small jobs, there are more transparent ways of doing so. For instance, define a minimum budget for small jobs, say $100. Then for an hourly job, calculate minumum of billable hours equal to $100 divided by the rate charged by the freelancer hired. For instance, the client would be automatically charged 10 hours for a $10/hr freelancer, and 4 hours for a $25/hr freelancer. This guarantees every job costs a minimum of $100 or whatever else Upwork chooses.

Jean S also stated, "Enterprise solutions may cover a narrow range but it is an extremely profitable range with less headaches, professionals who know what they're doing and who don't flood CS with dozens of support tickets."

If that's the issue, there's a simple fix--charge freelancers for every support ticket in excess of however many they get free per month, exactly the same way Connects work.

74 of 174
I was also peeved in the other thread so I decided to do what I normally do, do some math. Turns out $55/hr is not that different from $15/hr if you get 1/3 less jobs.

My part-part-time 1 year total was not far off from the $55/hr 1 year total on the platform. Hmmm......
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
75 of 174

@Suzanne N wrote:

Jean,

FYI there is no state that pays $15.00 per hour minimum wage. In fact the highest Minimum wage in the US is $9.50 an hour in Washington DC.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx#1

This was not the first time this week I have seen you comment to someone in regards to making $15 an hour and how it wasn't anything. I am sorry you do not think others are up to your snuff cause they make less money then you.

I am not an American Suzanne.

I guess I was thinking of individual cities like Seattle who have a $15 minimum wage. 

I have NEVER said it was not "anything."

I did not refer to it in a personal way but again a COMPANY (Upwork) mindset.

I don't understand why you cannot seem to understand I was talking from the company's point of view. It was never my personal opinion. GO AND READ IT AGAIN.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
76 of 174

Jean,

Seattle's minimum wage is 9 something per hour. They had an ballot up which did not pass wanting $15 an hour. California and Oregon have discussed similar measures, but there is no state in the US with a minimum above $9.50 an hour. Some states have no minimum wage, but there is a set Federal Minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. 

There are many working on Upwork from the US working for less then the $7.25 an hour.

I read your post and it is still reads directed at those who are in the price ranges you refer to as less then substantial.

I would really like to see where the comment came from if not from your mouth? (or fingers in this case) IF it is from something Upwork said by all means please post a link so everyone can read it?

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
77 of 174

Suzanne, Jean never claimed to be speaking for Upwork. She is using her business knowledge and analytical skills to try to make sense of an easily-inferred strategic direction that is puzzling many.

Not knowing the background of prior exchanges, I'm not sure what prior posts might have predisposed you to misinterpret her present ones. You are, however, both misinterpreting and personalizing in a way that it not at all justified by the content of the posts themselves.

Best,
Michael

Community Guru
78 of 174

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Suzanne, Jean never claimed to be speaking for Upwork. She is using her business knowledge and analytical skills to try to make sense of an easily-inferred strategic direction that is puzzling many.

Not knowing the background of prior exchanges, I'm not sure what prior posts might have predisposed you to misinterpret her present ones. You are, however, both misinterpreting and personalizing in a way that it not at all justified by the content of the posts themselves.

Best,
Michael

Thank you Michael. Finally someone who understands what I was trying to convey. 

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
79 of 174

For all those who think that Upwork is actually trying to phase out smaller contracts, I have a very different opinion. The management has repeatedly expressed the move towards providing more to Top rated freelancers and top rated earners on the platform and have taken many steps to effect this. In their own words they have ensured that these freelancers now enjoy 2x more jobs and top jobs compared to other freelancers.

Now this is only one more step in the same direction to solidify that move. To support my point I will illustrate the outcome. By increasing the % on the charges to the 80%-90% of freelancers that would fall in the lower thresholds, they would be increasing their profits easily. While at the same time charging a lower % on those who already fall in the upper category. In essence the change would opposite to the average Income Tax which governs most countries. However instead of a higher charge being levied against higher earners, it would be placed on lower earners. How can this be supported.

It is bad enough that a level percentage still affects smaller jobs more than larger ones (though the percentage is the same, the real power of the earning income is drastically different). One more + for the top top rated, afterall that is what the management said. So why are we surprised?

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
80 of 174

Setu,

As usual, thanks for providing a well-reasoned perspective. But if we observe Occam's razor, then the simplest explanation is that higher fees will generate higher profit (ceteris paribus).