cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey (18%fee/Help us make Upwork Better)

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
81 of 174

Thanks Setu. That's an interesting theory and I respect your opinion since like me, you're a "numbers" person.

Colin H Member Since: Jun 15, 2015
82 of 174

Work BETTER??!!??!! IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL!!!!!!

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
83 of 174

@ John, @ Jean,

I hope both opinions are incorrect, because neither of them has a positive outcome. One is just worse than the other. It is clear though that change has begun and will continue. In the mean time we will have to see how to adjust again, as Jean indicated in earlier posts.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
84 of 174

Well, obviously, Upwork is a profit-seeking business. Nothing in principle to object to there.

However, if the sole motivation was a tacky attempt to take more cash off the table, then the proposed rate increases would be across the board, and they're not. Clearly, there's an notion here that things can work better and more profitably even with high earners kicking in lower rates.

Myself, I think this is all quite reasonable stuff for Upwork to be looking into, but on what's been revealed about this survey so far, it all seems characteristically only-half-thought-through.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
85 of 174

John T, in Economics 101 they teach you about 'hidden costs'. The hidden costs in this case would be an exodus of freelancers unable or unwilling to pay higher fees and an exodus of clients unable or unwilling to hire the remaining freelancers that charge more than the departed freelancers. There may also be some savings to Upwork from a reduction in the number of freelancers and clients. In any event, if the net loss from the hidden costs exceeds the net profit from increased fees plus savings from reduction in clients and freelancers, then the hypothetical fee increase makes Upwork worse all around. One expects astute management would factor all this in.

86 of 174

I'm not sure what I've posted to give you the impression I'm in need of Economics 101, but yes, one would expect management to consider those factors, not least due to their staggering obviousness.

I dunno, is "Business seeking to maximise profitability" meant to come as a revelation? Of course they're doing that. That's not really what's of note or a concern to anyone here, I shouldn't think.

Community Guru
87 of 174

John T, I didn't intend to question your knowledge of economics, but I see that my comments can be interpreted that way, so I apologize. In my muddled way I was agreeing with your observation that 'if the sole motivation was a tacky attempt to take more cash off the table, then the proposed rate increases would be across the board'.

When I first suggested that 'higher fees produce higher profit' (all things being equal), I was proposing a short-term profit motive in place of a long-term strategy that others had suggested earlier.

88 of 174

GUYS!

PLEASE fix the site errors first, and then think about the money!

Errors with messages delivering with 2-3 days delay, searching freelancers, looking through 20 irrelevant pages, header disappearing and hundreds of small errors, that make upwork worst place ever.

I know you want to get MOOORE money, that is why you've added connects, that is why you want to receive more commission, but please remove these dollar signs from your eyes, and think about freelancers and clients!

Ace Contributor
Igor L Member Since: Dec 23, 2014
89 of 174

I'm stand for these changes and that's why: 

Being long-term developer, and short-term fixed contractor before that, I understand both good and bad sides of both work methods. 

I can say that Upwork have most of it's resources spend on resolving short-term contract conflicts due to either not qualified enough contractor or some light-fingered clients who want Facebook clone for 50$.

So it's quite logical that Upwork should take more money from short-term people and less from long-term contractors, as on long-term Upwork really doesn't do anything, just taking money, and these money going to resolving shortterm conflicts / paying refunds of another people. Why I should pay for them, if I don't cause Upwork any issues? Let them pay, that I would say.

Community Guru
90 of 174

@Igor L wrote:

I can say that Upwork have most of it's resources spend on resolving short-term contract conflicts due to either not qualified enough contractor or some light-fingered clients who want Facebook clone for 50$.

You can say that, alright, but how do you know Upwork doesn't spend most of its resources rebranding itself, redesigning the site, and fixing new features that don't work properly and in some cases aren't fixed for months? Take Upwork timetracker, for instance. I'm still using the old oDesk team app instead.