pgaldys

Suspected Fraud

Hi I am very new to UPWORK so still tredding lightly.  I received 

Invitation to Interview from a new memeber (Member Since: Jun 15, 2016)

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I was on a Google Hangout Chat for over 30 minutes for what appeared to be a prescreening process for a company based in Singapore with a temp office in Michigan.

One of the questions half way through: What Bank Do you Operate with to see if it tallies with the company's official salary payment account ?

Also, for this clerical position I was aksed if I was familiar with Peachtree  Complete Accounting Software,  CYMA IV for Windows Accounting  Software, MYOB Business  Essentials Accounting Software,  QuickBooks Pro Accounting Software and a Time Tracker.

And it so happens that I was only familiar with Quickbooks Pro, but my background is not in Accounting - but I am somehow approved for joining the team.

Further along...they mention that I will receive a check to purchase the needed laptop and software.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Are these blatant red flags that I should have noticed sooner? I am supposed to chat again tomorrow at 8am:

Now that these guys have my basic personal info (NO Banking info (other than the name) or social was provided.

Are there any next steps I need to do for protective reasons.

Also - full transcript attached.

2 REPLIES 2
mariawicz5

Nope, nope, nope. Big scam. Report them immediately.
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Phillip,

The job you are referring to violated Upwork ToS. It's not allowed to offer and accept payments outside of the platform. I'll forward the details your shared to the team so they can take appropriate actions. I had to remove them from your public post though.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork