🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suspended Contract - Where to ask Upwork
Page options
jyoder7
Community Member

Suspended Contract - Where to ask Upwork

For a few days, I heard nothing from one of my contracted clients. Then a couple of days ago, I got a notification that the contract was "temporarily suspended" and I'll be notified when the "problem is resolved." Today, I happened to see the client was online. I wrote him and asked about it but still nothing. Is there a contact point where I can ask Upwork what's going on?

9 REPLIES 9
kinector
Community Member

Jeremy, I'm not sure the customer support would tell you anything.

The only case my contract was paused was when my client overused his credit card and new payments didn't go through anymore. The problem was resolved when he added another credit card the next day.

What exactly would you hope Upwork to do for you here? The deal is between your client and yourself. Only you know if the client is being fishy, if you're doing what the client expects, if expectations are met on both sides, and so on.

If your client is ignoring you on purpose, you are the only one who could guess why. Under any circumstances should a platform such as this go between you and your client and make some kind of judgment call.

Maybe the client is simply not too good and fluent in his/her own work so that everything gets delayed all the time. I've had clients like that. Super nice, professional, and pays what promises so everything else was OK. I just went and followed their sluggish speed, then. 😁 As long as they are happy... 😉

jyoder7
Community Member

I guess I'd like Upwork to tell me if they suspended it or if the client did. First time this has happened to me, so I don't even know if the client can do it. Can they? I just feel really in the dark, as I have no idea who even did it, much less why.

kinector
Community Member

OK I get it. 👍

Not sure CS will tell you anything. Privacy and all that, you know.

Maybe just wait a week or two, then?

What you definitely shouldn't do is what too many people do when they don't get any reply: start pestering the client, send a dozen messages, and all that semi-idiotic stuff. 🤪

Juts keep your cool, man. 👍 Guys at our age excel in patience. 😉

If the client already hired and paid you for something, he/she knows how to reach you. Most likely it's some small stupid thing like a credit card issue, don't worry about it.

It could also be that the client cancelled the whole thing and is too embarrassed to tell you for some reason. This happened to me once in these 6 years on this platform. The guys just vanished, hahah! Even their company ceased to exist. 😂 Poor fellows, all dreams crushed... 😶 Not everything goes as planned. 🙄

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that this means that our team is currently investigating an issue with your client's account. Please do not resume work with this client until the contract is active again.

If there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, your contracts with them will be paused and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Jeremy Y wrote:

I guess I'd like Upwork to tell me if they suspended it or if the client did. 

Upwork did. If it was on Friday, it's because they didnt' pay for last week's hours on Monday or since.

If the client had done it, the contract would be "paused", not "on hold" or "suspended".

tamour74
Community Member

Hi, Petra R.
I have a similar sort of scenario happend to me with one of my contact..
below is the message i got in notification and no further details about it.

(Your contract .... was temporarily suspended. You will be notified as soon as the problem is resolved.)
this happened to this contract 2 weeks back when i added 5 hours but client dint had balance in his card and the hours get rejected and upwork temporarily suspended the contract.

then he added new payment method and he have money in his linked card and last week i added 12 hours @ 10$ per hour but today i got the notification that contract is suspended temporarily.

He have 128 plus dollars in his card.
there is one thing that he have Nigerian currency (49000 plus) in his account is this something happend due to this currency that i have Nigerian money rather than USD??
please help me so i can guide him. he is alos not able to contact the support.
Thanks

Hi Tamour,

Your client can refer to the ticket or email that they have received from our team and follow up directly there so that our team can assist them further.
Please keep in mind that I can't share any additional information for another user with you. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran for responding.

Can you please just clear one thing that, do a client needs to have dollars in his account to pay through upwork or he can have any curreny and that gets converted automatically to USD when hours are charged through upwork?

Hi Tamour,

Clients will simply need to add one of our accepted Billing Methods and they can hire and pay freelancers on Upwork at any time. The account can be set with their local currency as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members