🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suspended contract that is funded
Page options
sandy72300
Community Member

Suspended contract that is funded

Hello everyone. My contract was suspended by Upwork due to issue on the client's side and he isn't replying anymore so I stopped working. But the task should have been up to end of May and it appears funded. Is it safe to continue even if the client is not responding (because the pay was guaranteed to be funded). I'm so confused. Time is of the essence for the task.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Lorie,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to have you experience this hiccup. *Edited for clarity: I have just now confirmed that yes, you can still continue working on the contract. Note: Please only continue to work on your contract once it’s resumed and active. Let me know if there's anything else. 

~ Riri

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
kat303
Community Member

Lorie F wrote:

Hello everyone. My contract was suspended by Upwork due to issue on the client's side and he isn't replying anymore so I stopped working. But the task should have been up to end of May and it appears funded. Is it safe to continue even if the client is not responding (because the pay was guaranteed to be funded). I'm so confused. Time is of the essence for the task.

------------

No it is NOT safe to continue work. There is something wrong with the clients financial account. It could be as simple as an expired expiration date that needs to be updated or a fraudulent credit card, or a closed bank account. If there's something wrong you are not going to get paid until it's fixed. And if the client is not replying to you anymore, that may indicate that they have no intention on fixing the problem. 

So, if you want to continue working just because the due date is approaching, AND you don't mind not getting paid for your work, go ahead and complete the job. otherwise, STOP working and start looking for other jobs. 

And if the client does get back to you and tells you to send the work because Upwork is fixing the probem or is aware of it etc. don't. Only if you hear directly from Upwork that the problem is fixed and it's safe to continue work. 

My dilemma actually is that, there's a deadline. I need to vote in a poll 100x a day from May 15-31. I've voted up to May 24 already and the client said he will be fixing the issue with upwork (suspension was around May 21). But the last time he replied to me was May 22 around midnight. I stopped voting yesterday so I'm afraid that if he eventually fixed the issue, I can no longer catch up with the task. It was tedious and I've already spent considerable amount of time, sacrificing my other jobs. 😞

Lorie F wrote:

My dilemma actually is that, there's a deadline. I need to vote in a poll 100x a day from May 15-31. I've voted up to May 24 already and the client said he will be fixing the issue with upwork (suspension was around May 21). But the last time he replied to me was May 22 around midnight. I stopped voting yesterday so I'm afraid that if he eventually fixed the issue, I can no longer catch up with the task. It was tedious and I've already spent considerable amount of time, sacrificing my other jobs. 😞

Do you not see anything wrong with casting fake votes?

Don't you understand how that is at best immoral and unethical, at worst fraud?

You could (theoretically) simply request a proportion of the escrow funds (although I don't know what you mean when you say it "appears" to be funded - it either is or isn't...) but personally, I would not want to profit from fraud and walk away.

I wouldn't have taken the job if I know it's a fraud. The votes were legit and the task includes campaigning for other people to participate in the poll. You are allowed to vote several times as long as you use different email accounts. It's how we do it when we vote in Kpop polls. It's not really about who has the largest fandom but which fandom is the most dedicated and has the most time to waste in voting. Anyway, I said it appears to be funded because the contract says it's funded yet the reason for suspension appears to be the funding itself (whether expired credit card, credit limit maxed out, etc.).

Lorie F wrote:

I wouldn't have taken the job if I know it's a fraud. The votes were legit and the task includes campaigning for other people to participate in the poll. You are allowed to vote several times as long as you use different email accounts. It's how we do it when we vote in Kpop polls. It's not really about who has the largest fandom but which fandom is the most dedicated and has the most time to waste in voting. Anyway, I said it appears to be funded because the contract says it's funded yet the reason for suspension appears to be the funding itself (whether expired credit card, credit limit maxed out, etc.).

-------------------

I echo what Petra said. IMO whether you are paid to vote for the outcome to be the largest fandom or whether you are paid to vote for the outcome on the most dedicated it all comes down to having a STRANGER being paid to open email accounts and to vote 100X a day. If the outcome is who is most decidated let the actual fandom vote and not a paid stranger. And THAT is Fraud and Deception.

Hi Kathy. I like that I'm getting different perspective about this. My argument is that, what if that fan was busy that asking someone to vote in his/her behalf was more practical than sacrificing his/her time for job or business? What's fraud to me would paying the poll directly to add votes (there are polls where you can buy volume votes). Besides, the poll is aware that it's being done and all the participants are doing it. It's not that I'm saying it's acceptable because everyone is doing it but it's really an acceptable norm in polls. That's the reason why you can share the link to the poll so that you can ask friends, friends of friends, and strangers alike to vote, regardless of whether they are a fan or not.

I always consult my conscience first in every choice I make in my life.

Hi Lorie,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to have you experience this hiccup. *Edited for clarity: I have just now confirmed that yes, you can still continue working on the contract. Note: Please only continue to work on your contract once it’s resumed and active. Let me know if there's anything else. 

~ Riri

Wow! That's good to hear. Thank you very much!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members