🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Suspicion on Client
Page options
talddarus
Community Member

Suspicion on Client

So, I got a gig. Yay.

I like the person, and things seem straightforward. They give me work, and I do it. Right?

Anyway, we are developing a repor and I like were things are going. Then they ask me to do a little extra work. No problem. Happy to get things to work out.

Now here is the kicker.

They just sent me a plagiarism thing. Copyscape. In it, they say what I was doing is too similar to what I wrote. I was confused, as it looked like the original document I had been sent. So I ask if they had used the original. They are like, oops. Fix it, and I start again.

It still links to the original.

Does Copyscape show you the website of the text it matches? Cause I get the feeling my client ripped it off of a website, and is hiring me to rewrite it.

I didn't sign up for this, and I am sick cause I was happy to have consistent work.

What do I do? Report this? Or what? Just stop? Idk, I am more or less new here.

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I don't believe there are any legit "rewriting" jobs. Who needs rewriting? Only people who steal content from the internet. 

I don't think it's worth your time to investigate this, find the owner of the original website, verify who your client is, and so on. I would end the contract.

kkears
Community Member

You can likely verify if it's taken from another site if you copy/paste a portion in a Google search. Regardless, I think your instinct is probably correct. I'd directly but politely let him know that this is an ethical issue for your freelance business and close the contract.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ben: If you are not a spinner or rewriter, it is not necessary for you to work on a client's project if that is what the project entails. There is an endless supply of other freelancers available who are willing to do that sort of work.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members