🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suspicious Client Activity--Everything Delete...
Page options
47119aae
Community Member

Suspicious Client Activity--Everything Deleted After Clicking "Project Invite" Link

This is very suspicious. I'm not sure what happened. This appeared to be a legit job opportunity upfront. I received an email about the message from the client. I informed the client that I would be able to check the details in about 40 minutes, but I found time sooner than anticipated to look into it. After clicking the link, and noting that it was not what I expected, (it was an image saying to add someone to my Skype account to receive an interview), I clicked the other link and found the same message on a OneDrive account. I returned to the chat to explain that Upwork has video capabilities for an interview and found that all of our messages had been removed. It said that the client had removed the messages, and that I had removed my messages --I did no such thing! 

Finding this highly suspicious, I Googled about flagging the individual/job proposal, returned to the proposal, and found that it too had been removed! I'm very concerned about this. I'm new to Upwork, and I'm now concerned there was potential harm associated with the link that I clicked, as my messenger said the server was having issues right after this occurrence.

I included screenshots. Does anyone have any idea what happened? How should I proceed?

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jr-translation
Community Member

Mercedes T wrote:

This is very suspicious. I'm not sure what happened. This appeared to be a legit job opportunity upfront. I received an email about the message from the client. I informed the client that I would be able to check the details in about 40 minutes, but I found time sooner than anticipated to look into it. After clicking the link, and noting that it was not what I expected, (it was an image saying to add someone to my Skype account to receive an interview), I clicked the other link and found the same message on a OneDrive account. I returned to the chat to explain that Upwork has video capabilities for an interview and found that all of our messages had been removed. It said that the client had removed the messages, and that I had removed my messages --I did no such thing! 

Finding this highly suspicious, I Googled about flagging the individual/job proposal, returned to the proposal, and found that it too had been removed! I'm very concerned about this. I'm new to Upwork, and I'm now concerned there was potential harm associated with the link that I clicked, as my messenger said the server was having issues right after this occurrence.

I included screenshots. Does anyone have any idea what happened? How should I proceed?

It was not a real job and was taken down for ToS violation. You will get some more of these. Just flag them and move on. You do not have a portfolio so how could they review it? As a freelancer you will also hardly ever deal with a HR department.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jr-translation
Community Member

Mercedes T wrote:

It was not a real job and was taken down for ToS violation. You will get some more of these. Just flag them and move on. You do not have a portfolio so how could they review it? As a freelancer you will also hardly ever deal with a HR department.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mercedes,

Thanks for flagging this for us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
hendy_hossni
Community Member

I have the same exact situation with a fake client 

Hi Hossni,

Feel free to share more details with me via PM (click on my name) so that I can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I have an offer from someone and I think its a fraud, I need help to contiune or stop dealing with him 

re: "I have an offer from someone and I think its a fraud, I need help to contiune or stop dealing with him "

Hossni:
The appropriate place for you to get help is right here in the Community Forum.

Forum regulars such as myself are very happy to help freelancers avoid scams.

If you have encountered a job offer that you think is a scam, you may click the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right hand corner of the screen.

If you would like to discuss it more, or if you are not sure if it is a scam and think that it might be legitimate, then tell us more about the job offer.

We will provide you with all the guidance that you need.

Do not waste your time trying to contact Upwork Customer Support about this. Upwork provides you with all of the tools that you need, and here in the Forum we will provide you with all of the information and guidance that you need.

Hi Hossni,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the concern? I'll check that for you and advise you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello , I am a newbie at Upwork. For the past week I have notice all those add looking for new freelancer to do data entry or copying and pasting data entry were fraud ,they propose high fee like $ 350- $5000. When I apply, I received message immediately but later during the conversation you will notice they require you to make some form of security fee befor they can give you the gig. This is suspicious and I have flag more than 4 recently. Why cant you guy make a verification on job uploaded before any freelancer  apply for the task.We just wanted to work not keep bumping into  scammers pretending to be client. It is frustrating!

4813c532
Community Member

This has happened again with the same client. Exact same story as Mercedes.

Apparently they are an Upwork Plus Client. It all looks legit (reviews on past jobs) until they ghost you. Definitely not a good first experience on this platform. I thought all jobs were vetted prior to posting, but that is my misunderstanding.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Disappointing when looking for a job to pay bills.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I’ve checked and the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members