🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suspicious Client asking for contact no indir...
Page options
nyonomega0
Community Member

Suspicious Client asking for contact no indirectly

Hi,

I recently came across a suspicious client who sent me a Docx file which, instead of providing me an outlook on the project, asked for my contact no. The message is shown in the below screenshot.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Smartly enough, the client had named the file "Brochure1". Here's what I found in the file.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Currently, the client has a 43% hire rate and a review with 3 stars. (Also $100 in spending)

My question is should I withdraw my proposal and report the client, or wait for their response.

ThankYou.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My question is should I withdraw my proposal and report the client, or wait for their response."

You are not required to withdraw your proposal.

Better to NOT withdraw your proposal.

If this is a real client, maybe he will hire you.

If this is a scammer, and he gets reported as such, then if Upwork REMOVES the job posting, you get connects back. But only if you did NOT yet withdraw your proposal.

So by NOT withdrawing proposal, you have a chance of getting some good things - either a hire offer or returned connects.

As for what you should do with this client:

- Maybe he is confused about Upwork rules

- Maybe he is a scammer.

My standard advice: Give the client the opportunity to do the right thing. Tell him you will be happy to communicate with him using any method he wants, and you will be happy to provide him with contact information, after he hires you using an official Upwork contract. Until then, you can communicate using the Upwork Messages tool.

If he hires you, that's great. If he communicates with you using Upwork Messages, that's great. If he doesn't do one of those things, then report him.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My question is should I withdraw my proposal and report the client, or wait for their response."

You are not required to withdraw your proposal.

Better to NOT withdraw your proposal.

If this is a real client, maybe he will hire you.

If this is a scammer, and he gets reported as such, then if Upwork REMOVES the job posting, you get connects back. But only if you did NOT yet withdraw your proposal.

So by NOT withdrawing proposal, you have a chance of getting some good things - either a hire offer or returned connects.

As for what you should do with this client:

- Maybe he is confused about Upwork rules

- Maybe he is a scammer.

My standard advice: Give the client the opportunity to do the right thing. Tell him you will be happy to communicate with him using any method he wants, and you will be happy to provide him with contact information, after he hires you using an official Upwork contract. Until then, you can communicate using the Upwork Messages tool.

If he hires you, that's great. If he communicates with you using Upwork Messages, that's great. If he doesn't do one of those things, then report him.

Thanks for your advice!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members