🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Suspicious Client
Page options
bettsfrederick
Community Member

Suspicious Client

When I first joined about three weeks ago, Upwork sent an email warning me that the position that I submitted a bid for was closed due to the job 'was not in compliance with our terms of service'. Back then, this client contacted me anyway "outside" of the Upwork portal. 

Today, I received an invitation to interview from this same company (**Edited for community guidelines**) with the same name of the hiring manager who I was to contact three weeks ago. Only difference is that this time, they contacted me through the Upwork portal. I have not responded to them. Upwork, please contact me and I'll give you the full details. 

2 REPLIES 2
colettelewis
Community Member

Frederick B wrote:

When I first joined about three weeks ago, Upwork sent an email warning me that the position that I submitted a bid for was closed due to the job 'was not in compliance with our terms of service'. Back then, this client contacted me anyway "outside" of the Upwork portal. 

Today, I received an invitation to interview from this same company (**Edited for community guidelines**) with the same name of the hiring manager who I was to contact three weeks ago. Only difference is that this time, they contacted me through the Upwork portal. I have not responded to them. Upwork, please contact me and I'll give you the full details. 

Frederick, 

These people will try anything. And they use the names of established companies. Just flag the job and move on. It is probably not even the same scammer. 

They are ruthlessly targetting all newcomers (not just on Upwork) and it is my belief that with this new global crisis, it is going to get worse.  

I have flagged your post so that a moderator can intervene. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Frederick,

Thank you for flagging this to us. I was able to gather valuable information from your report and will escalate this to our team for their investigation.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members