🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suspicious Client
Page options
mu11bakl
Community Member

Suspicious Client

Hello I completed a project for a client and he has refused to answer my queries relating to payment. I am new to this platform and so I was unaware of the usual proceedings. He sent me his work via direct message and I sent him the completed project via direct message. When I asked about how we could proceed with payment he did not respond. All the evidence is in my inbox. Please help.

2 REPLIES 2
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Litha,

I checked your account and would like to confirm that you were never hired on an official contract. In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on a official contract and fulfill the criteria required.

I would recommend checking out our resources here and learn more about how to protect yourself and about getting started on Upwork. Our team will also investigate your client further and will take proper actions. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
kinector
Community Member

Litha, I'd urge you to grasp the basics.

A contract in a freelance context means the client describes what needs to be done, the freelancer agrees (and perhaps specifies what exactly needs to be done), and both parties agree in the price and timeline. Then there some official part to seal the deal.

You skipped the last part. 😬 No formal deal.

Whatever is done is done, completely without a contract and without a formal explicit agreement from the client on the scope and price.

Whatever is written in the messages could be disputed. What counts is having a contract started.

Learn from this and do better next time. I hope you didn't lose much time and that the next chance comes soon and you totally nail this trendy thing called freelancing.

Keep going. 👍
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths