Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious Job: "we need a proofreader to edit a business document"

d28bb41c
Masahiro I Member Since: Mar 20, 2020
1 of 40

Hello, 

Yesterday I submitted a bid for a job titled, "we need a proofreader to edit a business document," and earlier today I received an offer via Upwork messaging. While following the "client's" instructions, it became clear that something was wrong; Upwork removed the job post, the individual who told me to connect via Skype interviewed me by asking 11 questions. After telling me that I was hired, the individual started explaining that payments would be directly made into my bank account and asked specifically for my bank account information, even though I insisted that I be paid through Upwork. 

Long story short, this was my experience that wasted almost three hours of my time. I was not aware that evil acts like this were swooping into Upwork. Please watch out, everyone.  

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 40

Masahiro I wrote:

Long story short, this was my experience that wasted almost three hours of my time. I was not aware that evil acts like this were swooping into Upwork. 

They are not swooping in, they've always been here and always will be.

Why would you spend 3 hours of your time on applying for a job to proofread a document?

d28bb41c
3 of 40

Hi Petra, that much time was spent on all the "interview" questions that I was asked to answer and onboarding communication, plus waiting as I was asked to stay online during the process. After two thirds of the time had passed, suspicious, questionable activities started. 

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
4 of 40

Masahiro I wrote:

Hi Petra, that much time was spent on all the "interview" questions that I was asked to answer and onboarding communication, plus waiting as I was asked to stay online during the process. After two thirds of the time had passed, suspicious, questionable activities started. 

And why do you continue an interview after Upwork has removed the job?

d28bb41c
BEST ANSWER
5 of 40

Hi Jennifer, let me clarify the time sequence for you; no, I did not continue with the process. The job was removed when I was already though with the "interview" and the legitimacy of this job post was starting to seem questionable, well into their "onboarding process." From that point forward, I spent a few minutes eliciting evidence of their fraudulent intentions, which I did and led to my confirmation and disengaged myself from the interaction to avoid any risks.

This post was meant to share my experience for the community's awareness, and is not meant to solicit interrogative questions or remarks. 

View solution in original post

iliana-jaimes
Iliana J Member Since: May 12, 2020
6 of 40

Hi Masahiro: I totally understand what you went through, I had the same experience with that "client " and it was so frustrating to spend almost 3 hours then realizing it was a scam.

My question is if it was a fraudulent job post and UpWork already recognizes it as a scam and deleted from the job-feed, are we getting those connects back??

djondinium
Community Manager
Aleksandar D Community Manager Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
7 of 40

Hi Iliana,

Connects are refunded when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. Additionally, there is a new test in which Connects are returned on contracts that don't hire anyone and have gone dormant. You can check the official announcement in this Community thread.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
d28bb41c
8 of 40

Hello Iliana, 

Thank you for reviewing my post and sharing your own experience... I'm sorry to hear that you also had to deal with that ordeal...! And your question was spot-on. I trust you've gotten those connects back by now. 

We'd better stay vigilant and do all we can to stay clear of evil, malicious act. Please stay safe and well, Iliana.

Sincerely,

Masahiro

halinas2020
Halina S Member Since: Feb 17, 2020
9 of 40

I had a similar experience with my very first interview on Upwork. Did I know it was a scam? Not until the interview was over, I had been "given" the job and asked about my bank information. 

I think it's not uncommon for new freelancers to go through this experience. Scammers count on our desire to get hired. And yes, it takes time to gain traction on Upwork. 

I have gotten much better at identifying potential scammers before I even spend my connects writing to them. But that can only come with experience. 

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
10 of 40

Petra R wrote:

Why would you spend 3 hours of your time on applying for a job to proofread a document?

Maybe because getting started on Upwork is difficult,  and some of us have to invest a significant amount of time to get our first few jobs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS